Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"the craptor is by no means a FAST drag racing atv"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004 | 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default "the craptor is by no means a FAST drag racing atv"

yes a two stroke fires twice as often as a thumper but the power stroke for a two stroke engine is much shorter. the effective power stroke of a two stroke is done when the exhaust port is uncovered which is around 90 degrees atdc while a thumper has nearly 180 degrees of power stroke before the exhaust exits the valves.

Old 08-16-2004 | 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Guys were not trying to convice you the raptor is some slow POS. We're just stating the fact that to make it a competative drag machine is a very expensive endeavor with no chance of winning. Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Old 08-16-2004 | 05:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, very good points proven. There is no part of the raptor which would qualify to be a "drag" specific part/peice or advantage. You are all giving EXCUSES as to why your raptors arent as fast as 2-strokes which whether you know it or not are PROVING our points.

Why does it matter that a 2-strokes fires just as much? Like homie said you guys have nearly twice the powerstroke.

Your fastest 4-stroke quad motor is in the high 4.2 range. I know of 350 banshees in the 4.0 range that run all day long. Ive said that before though. The fastest 2-stroke banshee trans'ed motor is a 3.5 and the fastest banshee based motor is a 3.7. You guys are so far off and you have a ton more displacement then we do it isnt even funny, nor is it arguable as to why your slower. Its just the bitter truth.

Not saying raptors are slow, but there are much better choices when wanting to do a drag based bike. Originality is fine though.

Old 08-16-2004 | 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

...the question at hand

"the craptor is by no means a FAST drag racing atv"
it is not the fastest but it is FAST... anything that can go below 4.5 is impressive!!!

banshee 17 yrs of existance... banshee based motor (quoted by beechman) = 3.7
raptor 3 yrs fo existance... raptor based motor (with reverse, and starter) = 4.2 (there are quotes from many sources that they have hit the 4.0 and 3.9 mark (though no proof yet)

that is not an excuse, that is FAST!!!

I have a dune and hill shooting bike, and I challange any dune bike to play follow the leader and then race the hill, with knobbies...

Old 08-16-2004 | 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan

Billz, crankers can vary in size from 580 to 780cc's

that is one shee that i would not mind riding man those bikes are fast

rapfam you and Dabeech are on the same page he not saying that raptor's are slow but to make the fastest 300ft pass you could do it with a shee for less money

but on the other hand nothing would be fast if people did not try to compete with one another (jmo)

Old 08-16-2004 | 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dollar, mine is even bigger [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rapfam...you crack me up. a 3.9 raptor? Haha, a 4.0? haha. When they ran that 4.28 pass it was on every forum they could find, so i imagine if they did even better they would do the same.

The 3.7 was ran by a cylinder that was only out for a couple years. Yes the banshee has been out for 15+ years, but that doesnt mean it deserves to be fast now. Some motors just have more potential then others, it has no correlation between what motor has been designed longer or not. I guess in your way of thinking this 83 250x i have in my shop should be even faster!

All kiding aside, there is nothing a raptor can do that another bike cant do better. Yes you may run 4.5's all day long, but i havent seen it and ive been to the tracks very often. I guess those times only come from the mid-west.

If it comes down to it, a z400, a kawi, a pred, a raptor, a 250r, a banshee, a yfz and a 450r are all sub 4.5 bikes with decent setups. I only consider two of these with drag potential though.

Old 08-16-2004 | 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I beat 70% of tha banshees i race, i beat 97% of any other bikes i race. I know it aint the fastest but to argue that it aint fast is just ignorant in my eyes..

If you want to make a fast banshee your spending big dollars, what is this less expensive crap going on here, there twice as much if you want to put down a 3.0, with that cash maybe i could do it on a raptor...I have spent a few grand on my bike, but no more than a banshee that is killing me by 5 bikes on the hill [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2004 | 02:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

now now...i know you and your bike and for a few grand im sure i could fulfill that wish for you. Remember 1bad, you have a few grand in your motor, and vice versa a few grand in a 350 banshee could double the hp your putting down right now. That would be able to make a banshee put 5 lengths on you.