Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

one way starter install

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one way starter install

Yeah cleaned them flat off.. The guys that were doing my enigne work split the case and everything beacuase there was little metal fragments in the bottom from wehre the cam chain guide broke they had to fabricate a piece for that. .No that wasnt 4,000 was only 2 grand then i had 400 for swingarm chain and sprokets then i had 1,000 for broken rod that kinda stuff.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Originally posted by: Tyme
Do you have any clue on how these are getting sheered? It was a clean cut on all of them!
Check your jetting, you might be running LEAN and your quad back-fired, thats what shears the bolts off!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

99% of the time its just that yamaha forgot the green locktite on the bolts when installed, after a while one backs out,, then another,, then another just enough to get sheared off by the gear.

If you are able to dig the rest the bolts out of the flywheel easily there was never any locktite on them (they should just unthread with a pen knife or ever a finger) The locktite they use is thicker than pig snot and they will not turn with it on there, it would have to be drilled.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

You are right, they didn't put lock tight. I backed five out with a tap and die set. The 6th one needed to be drilled, but still backed right out when I put the drill in reverse. That should be a recall. If those bolts hit my timing chain I would be out thousands of dollars. You wonder why they call them Craptors LOL.

Big Daddy, I am still going to check my jets while I have it all apart. (needed to order the gasket and replacement screws so she is apart for a week)

Old 08-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you buy the L&A One way from Ripper Racing, you will get the socket head replacement bolts. That Raptortranny.com is a Godsend, great directions and you wont have a problem with the install, Ive done it twice. Buy the complete kit and s-can that idler gear, it most likely has too many chatter marks on it for the new bearing to run properly. Good luck. I used locktite red on my bolts.

Old 08-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Originally posted by: Tyme
You are right, they didn't put lock tight.
Your catching onto there DESIGN FLAW (IMO). That one-way starter set-up needs to go back to the DRAWING BOARD.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Now imagine backing those sheared off screws with lock tight on them. When you put it back together put a VERY SMALL amount of blue locktite on each screw and torque them down to Yamaha specs. It sounds like your going to be OK from this point on. GOOD LUCK!!!!