Default warrior sprocket ?'s

can u help me on how to put the sprocket on im clueless

Old 08-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: 2phast4u2catch
can u help me on how to put the sprocket on im clueless
I'll take this from the top then .. presuming you have the sprocket(s) and have not yet tried installing them ...

1. Loosen the upper and lower bolts on the rear axel carrier. They require a 17mm wrench on both sides if I'm not mistaken??

2. loosen the lock nuts on the chain tensioners (12mm) and screw the tensioners all the way out (10mm)

If you're doing the rear sprocket do step 3, otherwise go to step 4

3. Take off the rear left tire

4. using a peice of wood or other similar block that won't dent/scratch your rear axel hub .. tap the lower end of the tensioner assembly to driven the chain tensioner all the way forward. This gives you lots of slack to work on your chain (getting it off the sprockets).

The next steps are to do with the front sprocket:

5. remove the 3 bolts holding the chain guard cover in place (7mm I think)

6. using a cold chisel or wide blade slotted screw driver, bend the washer flat away from the sprocket nut

7. The nut should pretty well spin off in your hand. I'm not sure what size wrench fits it but I would guess a 25mm or larger.

8. The washer comes off along with the sprocket and chain

9. Put the new sprocket on .. the sprocket is keyed to fit the shaft, then the washer and then the nut. If you broke the washer bending it, then you'll need to replace it. Not a bad idea to do anyway ... like cotterpins ..

10. Tighten up the nut either by hand or with a wrench. If doing by hand I would suggest giving it a few taps with the edge of a screwdriver to make sure it's secure, and then bend the washer back over the nut to lock in place

11. loop the chain over the top of the sprocket and rotate to fix in place.

12. Replace your sprocket cover and 3 bolts.

Only do step 13 now if you are not doing anything with the rear sprocket ..

13. Adjust your chain tension and tighten the lock nuts. Also tighten the upper and lower bolts on the carrier after you adjust the chain tension.

Steps for the rear sprocket:

14. Bend back the retaining washers on all 6 bolts

15. Remove the bolts from the sprocket (14mm I think) along with the washers.

16. Pull the sprocket off towards the left side ( you will have had the wheel removed in step 3 above) and remove it from the chain

17. Put the new sprocket into the chain and slide in place over the studs on the sprocket hub.

18. Install the retaining washers (3) and nuts (6). Replace the retaining washers if damaged. Tighten the nuts and bend the washers in place to lock the nuts.

19. Reinstall the left rear tire/wheel.

Go back to step 13 and retension/align the chain.

Hope this helps!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy to change the front sprocket. Just bent the retainer ring back so it's flat and the sprocket nut should come off real easy. Sometimes you can just screw it off with finger-force, sometimes a big pair of pliers will work.

The sprocket should just pop out by hand, or a screw-driver will pop it out.

Then slid in your new sprocket, spin on and tighten your bolt, and slid on your retainer and bend it back out so the bolt can't spin if it comes loose.

The tough part will be shortening your chain if you don't have a chain breaker. I recommend a Motion Pro chain breaker, it's very easy and drives the pin right out of the links.

Basically on a Warrior you should have 98 links with a 13/40 gearing. If you had 15/40 you will have to remove 2 links.

Generally it's 2 link for every 2 teeth up front.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Oh yea and if you have to adjust the chain, it sucks on a Warrior. I don't even use the stupid adjusters, I just use a pry bar and a lot of elbow grease.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess we over-killed it. Sorry, that post wasn't there when I started my post. But I'm at work and sometimes I don't get to finish a post for a few minutes.

Either way you get the gist of the sprocket changing.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i cant get the bolt off on the front sprocket and i have 12 41 gearing soo i dont need to mess w/ the chain very much and thanxs for all yur help but my moms b/f aint much of a motor head and hes mamking me take it up to the atv shop and have them do it for 30 bucks sooo i hope hes paying for it becuz i can do it myself for free