Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor axle nut came off today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004 | 09:51 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default raptor axle nut came off today

hello agian everybody i am in need of help once again anywho i took my 2001 yamaha raptor 660 in to have the chain cut adjusted and clutch lever installed and for an overall inspection they tightend my axle nut because they were loose, first ride out i heard a noise a clatink sorry the best way i can describe it but i got back and the outside axle nut was complety off the threads and the chain adjusters were loose like they havent been tightend. the axle nut will not go back on im hoping it striped the nut and not the axle,is this something that just happens?did the dealership screw me?where can i find some new axle nuts cheap i looked on rocky mountain and the only ones they have are the lsr for over a hundred dollars i found this one on ebay axle nut anyone have any comments on this axle nut on ebay does this replace both nut or do i have to buy 2 of them?
thank you for any help or advise you can give me.

Old 08-29-2004 | 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Just put some loktite on them and tighten them up.

Old 08-29-2004 | 10:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: caliraptor
Just put some loktite on them and tighten them up.
i would but the outer nut will not go on i think its stripped i hope its stripped and not the axle.
is it cool to ride the quad with only one of the nuts on it?

Old 08-30-2004 | 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt ride it.

Old 08-30-2004 | 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BURKEDADDY
hello agian everybody i am in need of help once again anywho i took my 2001 yamaha raptor 660 in to have the chain cut adjusted and clutch lever installed and for an overall inspection they tightend my axle nut because they were loose, first ride out i heard a noise a clatink sorry the best way i can describe it but i got back and the outside axle nut was complety off the threads and the chain adjusters were loose like they havent been tightend. the axle nut will not go back on im hoping it striped the nut and not the axle,is this something that just happens?did the dealership screw me?where can i find some new axle nuts cheap i looked on rocky mountain and the only ones they have are the lsr for over a hundred dollars i found this one on ebay axle nut anyone have any comments on this axle nut on ebay does this replace both nut or do i have to buy 2 of them?
thank you for any help or advise you can give me.
I had the same problem until I got that Axle nut you are showing on this thread on ebay. Just the one is all you need and you tighten it up hand tight no torqing at all. Then you tighten up the allen screws and thats it. If you really need the two stock ones I have two brand new ones that came off my 04 that you can have.

Old 08-30-2004 | 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

the dealership! blame them!

Old 08-30-2004 | 01:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: elraptor02
Yes, if you just got the bike back from them yes I would take it back and have them replace your axle too!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2004 | 10:37 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
Originally posted by: elraptor02
Yes, if you just got the bike back from them yes I would take it back and have them replace your axle too!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
so do you think they didnt tighten the bolt right? could it be they didnt tighten the chain adjustment? why would this happen? ill go and talk to them tommorow any pointers on talking with the stealership?
thank you

Old 08-30-2004 | 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

The same thing happened on my dirt bike 2 days ago. Im not sure about your raptor but my bike has a cotter pin hole through the axel that your supposed to put the pin through and forgot to do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But any ways a regular nut of the same size will do(any hardware store should stock the same size nuts and that will do fine) and if that wont go on you need to take your axel off and throughly inspect the threads. (it should be obvious from up close whether the nut cross threaded, the axel threads did, or the nut just vibrated loose. good luck!

Old 08-31-2004 | 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazieone
The same thing happened on my dirt bike 2 days ago. Im not sure about your raptor but my bike has a cotter pin hole through the axel that your supposed to put the pin through and forgot to do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But any ways a regular nut of the same size will do(any hardware store should stock the same size nuts and that will do fine) and if that wont go on you need to take your axel off and throughly inspect the threads. (it should be obvious from up close whether the nut cross threaded, the axel threads did, or the nut just vibrated loose. good luck!
Well I would just have to dissagree with you on the any hardware store will carry that bolt. Believe me, when mine stripped out, I was all over my town looking for one and there was not one company that had one. Then come to find out my axle was stripped as well. So I had to order two extra bolts, one to cut four notches in to act as a threader and one to put on after it was all done. I had repaired my stock axle and put it back together but soon after that I replaced it with the one aluminum one that made life allot better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: raptor axle nut came off today