Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for a newbie

I know. This question has been asked a thousand times before, but I have to ask it again. I'm about to buy either a 02 Banshee or 02 660r Raptor. I know both have their advantages & disadvantages, but tell me which is a better atv? I know one has a 6 speed, and the other has a 5. One has reverse & a electric start, and the other doesn't.

But performance wise, which responds better to modifications? Which is a better bang for your buck? I plan to use as a weekend toy for the dunes & around some deserted land/country roads. Any help or input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

2 stroke, 4 stroke.

I personally would go with the banshee I feel 2 strokes out perform 4 strokes but people will argue. I understand the raptor has features like an electric start and reverse, but it all depends on what type of bike your looking for, 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

I probably didn't help but hey it's worth a try.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

be more specific on the type of riding you want to do. You want to go to the dunes but you also want to ride roads? What about trails? Do you want a real fast quad? There is a huge difference in the two so be more specific.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

Forgot to include i think banshee can be modified more then a raptor, better get another opinion.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

id say the raptor.. good for dunes. and its better for trails than the banshee

Old 08-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Range Rover

Banshee's rule the dunes...

Old 08-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

in my opion the banshee will end up costing more. right of the bat you have to mix your gas,2strokes work twice as hard and will need to be rebuilt more often and when you do have to rebuild you have to buy 2 of everthing.the stock power of both will be real close the raptor powerband will be smoother while the banshees power kicks in all at once and you better hold on,the banshee has almost unlimited mods you can get. banshee has kick start wich i prefer over push button, the raptor has a better suspension. i like the looks of the raptor the banshee is to square looking for me.
thats all i can think of right now im sure ill think of something else after i hit the reply button
either way you go you will have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] whats the prices on the quads your looking at?

Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

best bet is to go ride both for a day, find some people who have them and will let you ride them, then decide based on your own preferance. Speed and power is only a matter of money, they are both excelent bikes and both can be very fast. It all depends on what sort of maintence is acceptable to you and how much mechanical ability you posses. Some like two strokes cause they are easy to build and mod, some like 4 strokes for the easy maintenace but they are harder to modify. both can be made into really good bikes for what ever you want to ride, but in stock form the raptor is the better all around bike, but who leaves anything stock?? so look at what you plan on donig to the bike in the future and what potential it will have for your wants and riding style!! GOOD LUCK

Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Basically I want a quad that gonna have the best of both worlds. Able to see some small time trail riding, and mostly flat out straight hauling *** down a paved/dirt road or up a dune. I've spoke with a friend last night, he was a previous owner of a raptor. He basically told me both were really fast quads, the shee has more of an aftermarket than the raptor because of longevity. In a nut shell, he said he had raced some banshees, stock vs stock, and won some and lost some. That it was down to the rider. I dunno. I need to make up my mind. I guess I'll just pick one, and if I get spanked by other riders I'll just mod.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

My budget is 3K, I have found both for that price range that are 00's, 01's.

Quick Reply: Need help for a newbie