Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Do you have an extended warranty of some sort? Is it covered? Hope that you get this problem resovled. Good Luck!!!!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

sorry to hear about your quad,you could get insurance and then wait a month or two then make a claim if you were so inclined but that would be wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i think.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BURKEDADDY
sorry to hear about your quad,you could get insurance and then wait a month or two then make a claim if you were so inclined but that would be wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i think.
hehehehe pretty sneaky........

Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Range Rover

well what you could do is talk to your local Insurance company, mine is called autopac, and most people insure there bikes, and of course the occasional person hits a tree.... and these bikes get writen off, and then they just sit there, or they get shipped out to the junk yard..... you can get them for pretty cheap usually... try checking into that.... But you would think that a Yamaha Dealer, could get a hold of someone in the yamaha Corp. and say they just had a machine come in, ON Warranty, that blew a pistion out the block, could you send me another motor for it... they MUST be able to do that..... because what happens if it did happen on Warranty.... do they just give you a new bike? Man i feel for you...... i bought a brand new 2003 Dodge 1500 HEMI when they first came out.... and i blew my motor at 500 Km.... 1 week to the day i bought it.... and they wouldn't give me a new one, they wanted to replace my motor(but they couldn't find one, and they said they would probably not be able to get a crated motor).... i said HELL NO.... but it eventually got fixed... and i got alot of money back.... bit still....

Old 09-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

That sucks real bad. It's very rare that an engine will grenade like that no matter what the brand. Did you think to check the oil level after your last service? You can't trust anyone now a days. Damn GUMS are you am attention getter or do you like to bitch alot? This is the fifth post (word for word almost) on two different forums within the last 24 hours.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

MISERY

When a yamaha dealer has a blown engine come in on warranty they have to get the pieces in one by one just like us the customers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

If you cant find an engine on ebay or from an ATV salvage yard, you have 2 choices.
You can either enjoy your $14,000.00 (?) lawn chair or do what everyone else does, buy the parts and put it back together. Whats the problem?
Seriously. I just bought new cases for mine from yamaha for less than $900.00. I replaced EVERYTHING in the bottom of the motor except the crank and tranny. I even put a 686 kit in it with oversized stainless steel valves. I did the whole thing for $3000.00
The only things I used from the old motor was the crank, trans gears, cylinder, head, cam, counter balance ,valve coverand the fly wheel. Everything else was replaced.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Range Rover

but i think his main point is that it is only 2 years old... he shouldn'r have to rebuild the whole motor...

Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MiseryMachine
but i think his main point is that it is only 2 years old... he shouldn'r have to rebuild the whole motor...
I agree that he shouldn't have to rebuild it but the amount of mileage that the machine has makes me think that something wasn't proper. An engine only cames apart that hard when there is lack of oil pressure (oil pump failure, or the rider didn't check it and it was low) or the engine has been overreved. I would bet that the engine was starved for oil and it grenaded. How often do you hear of these engines blowing up? If you do a search you would find very few no matter the make or model. I was taught in school that 99% of failures are of the human kind not the fault of the machine. But it is human nature to blame something else on ones tribulations. He had mentioned that the machine was serviced a week earlier; correct? I would bet the farm that it relates back to that.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

hey gums sparky660 is right,I'll go back to your dealer about that because there is a thing called "I thought I did".What happened to a friend of mine is similar.He had just taken his z400 in for service and install of a cam and timing belt.When we went to silver lakes in Michigan,I noticed he was leaking radiator fluid.We had already rode for about 30mins b4 we noticed.Got back to the truck and his whole bottle was empty.The service tech,come to find out,didn't refill the bottle or tighten the housing for the coolant.Luckily for my buddy I noticed all of this otherwise his engine would haved seized up right at the top of a sand hill or something..So either do your work yourself or don't feel bad about questioning the dealers after service..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament