Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?

I was wondering if anyone has found an aftermarket drive belt for the 660 Grizzly, I see that the kodiak and the Grizz numbers are close 5km-17641-00-00 for the Grizz and 5gh-17641-00-00 for the 2003 Kodiak. Has anyone replaced theres, Yamahas price is just nuts. Thanks
Cliff

Old 09-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dealer told me they'd only EVER replaced one belt for a Grizz as it got water and possibly some grease on it. they said they last a long, long time.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, my top speed has fallen 6-7 mph, the Grizzly does not have the take off it used to, and it will let out a squeal every now and then on take off. I have 2800 miles on the bike now, which sees everyday use on the farm. The belt has gotten wet before.........(accidentally hit a low water slab crossing that had 2ft of rushing water going across, needless to say me and the bike ended up 60ft down stream, wow what a ride) a few times. The bike has been serviced regularly. I know Artic Cat drive belts should be replaced every 1000 miles, so I have heard. Yamaha wants 106.00 for there belt, when Dayco wants 34.95 for a belt for the Kodiak, thats why I was asking if they might be the same belt. Thanks
Cliff

Old 09-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know if you find the answer. can you ask a dealer if the Kodiak and grizzly belts are the same, or ask to see them side by side . if Dayco makes one for the Kody, it just seems silly they wouldn't make one for the grizz.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just wish those bastards at Yamaha would give us a choice like AC does with their 500's and 400's. I'd love to have a manual shift Grizzly.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think Artic Cat likes to cater to it's customers alot. My brother used to work for an Artic Cat dealer and Artic Cat would want to put on a customer appreciatoin day every year in the spring. So we would plot out a 20 mile ride through the hills here is southeastern Missouri through our property and a few neighboring farms. Then of course back to the house for free drinks and bbq. The highest number of bikes we ever had was 121. Have you heard of Yamaha doing this at your local dealer, I know my dealer won't.
Cliff

Old 09-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: pwrx4d
Well, my top speed has fallen 6-7 mph, the Grizzly does not have the take off it used to, and it will let out a squeal every now and then on take off. I have 2800 miles on the bike now, which sees everyday use on the farm. The belt has gotten wet before.........(accidentally hit a low water slab crossing that had 2ft of rushing water going across, needless to say me and the bike ended up 60ft down stream, wow what a ride) a few times. The bike has been serviced regularly. I know Artic Cat drive belts should be replaced every 1000 miles, so I have heard. Yamaha wants 106.00 for there belt, when Dayco wants 34.95 for a belt for the Kodiak, thats why I was asking if they might be the same belt. Thanks
Cliff

You need to grease the clutches. Unless you smoked the belt, it getting wet wont destroy it.

Brad

Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

There will be a new belt coming out in about 6 to 8 weeks for the grizzly's. I will let you known when it becomes availiable. Also Price is not available at this time.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have greased the clutches and that did not help, I ordered a belt from Dayco, it seems the belt from an 03 Kodiak will work , they do not list a Grizzly part# and for $70 cheaper at $35 its worth a try. Wolf that would be great, thanks alot, just incase the Dayco belt doesn't hold up, I have not recieved it yet(back ordered) heres my email....pwrx4d@yahoo.com Thanks Guys
Cliff

Old 09-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What was the part number on the Dayco belt?

Quick Reply: Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?