Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Toomey or Elka?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toomey or Elka?

Originally posted by: maddog56
If you want better handling on a banshee, get a set of works shocks. Unless you are riding mx you are wasting your money. Most riders wont notice a difference.

Burkedaddy, if he wanted great handling, he should have bought a yfz, not a banshee. The yfz is already faster than the banshee stock, and the banshee gains much more with pipes than a yfz does. Which machine do you think needs a pipe first.

Banshees are made to go fast much more so than handle well. A arms and shocks will make the machine handle better. But at that point you need a longer axle otherwise you may be considerably wider up front. If you want to sink 2 grand plus into suspension on a bike thats worth about 4 grand, go for it. You wont handle as well as a z400 and will get beaten by a z with a few minor mods.
thats what im saying the banshee lacks good handleing so it would benifit more from some better shocks
the banshees does not lack power, i think the 450 needs a pipe more than shocks the stock suspension is quite good on the 450 and the banshee needs better shocks over the pipes just to even things out so it has the best of both worlds.this ofcourse is my opion

Old 09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toomey or Elka?

i think he would benefit more from the shocks if he was jumping in the dunes....if all he does is race in a straight line, get the pipe first

Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toomey or Elka?

Right now I'm really leaning towards the shocks, but I have one really important question that needs answering. Would I be wasting money getting the $900 sport/race shocks just for duning? Would the $465 recreational shocks be good enough to soak up small bumps and big jumps and really smooth out the ride much like the race models but without all the adjustments that I probably wouldnt need anyway? Basically I'm trying to figure out that since I dont race or mx or anything, would I be wasting my money on shocks that I wouldnt be using to their full potential?

Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toomey or Elka?

If you want better handling on a banshee, get a set of works shocks. Unless you are riding mx you are wasting your money. Most riders wont notice a difference.
Yes!!! As long as the shocks are setup for your weight, riding style, and a arm size, you will only have small adjustments to make for duning and trails.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toomey or Elka?

[[No offense but I really dont like FMF's, and their gnarly model, I regret to inform you, is the model designed to improve a banshee's low end torque, not high-rpm power]] Quote

Ya I know the diff between Fatty and Gnarly. That is why I recommended the Fatty and not the Gnarly for you living close to the Oregon Dunes. And if you take your Shee to some of Oregon's non Dune forest riding areas then the Fatty with TC2 has spark arrestor and is quiet unlike the T-6. But I understand that your mind is made up so lets move on.

[[Depending on whether the majority of people agree that the arms are going to be a better mod than the shocks, or vice versa, I will base my decision on that. ]] Quote

I believe you are overlooking the fact that either one of these mods done by itself has shortcomings. If you go with just A-arms now and re-use the stock shocks the front end will be a little too soft and overall handling won't be significantly better than with stock arms and stock shocks in fact depending on how hard you ride the handling could be worse. If you go with just new shocks now then the handling will definitely be better now but you will be faced with the expense of re-springing and re-valving later when you go with + A-arms. So neither alternate is very good.

The stock pipes and stock air box design absolutely sucks. So your stock Banshee will climb every hill you need to climb. For your information so will my stock 400EX climb any hill I need to climb just much slower. With a good set of pipes and whatever good airbox mod you select then you have a mod that greatly improves performance and corrects a defective airbox design for good.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toomey or Elka?

I've got a feeling johnny already has his mind set on what he is getting. He has a pretty strong preference for the order he plans on getting the mods too. I think he is just looking for confirmation.

If you dont want others opinions, dont ask.

FMF makes great pipes for the banshee, I have never met an unhappy fmf banshee owner. Toomey makes good pipes, but cpi is still the real way to go.

If you are making a duning quad, why do you want t6 pipes? For the dunes you want top end power and a good hit. It sounds to me like you are making an mx or tight trail machine.

There is a broad difference in the axle choices. The best combination of strength and price is the lonestar axecaliber.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Toomey or Elka?

your best bet is to buy the alba kit and have the rear shock rebuilt then you can do pipes later and look around you can find a used set of pipes for the most part but dont buy used shocks or a arms i know the a arms that alba uses are awesome quality if you are not a racer

Old 09-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toomey or Elka?

Toomys are so overated. FMF makes great pipes and if you ride trails the gnarlys are effing awsome. Most of the banshee's i've ridin have t5's on em and i can't tell a difference in power besides the fmf's make more low end. And toomys don't come with spark arrestors and aren't under the legal DB limit in most dunes.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Toomey or Elka?

I've got a feeling johnny already has his mind set on what he is getting. He has a pretty strong preference for the order he plans on getting the mods too. I think he is just looking for confirmation.

If you dont want others opinions, dont ask.

FMF makes great pipes for the banshee, I have never met an unhappy fmf banshee owner. Toomey makes good pipes, but cpi is still the real way to go.

If you are making a duning quad, why do you want t6 pipes? For the dunes you want top end power and a good hit. It sounds to me like you are making an mx or tight trail machine.

There is a broad difference in the axle choices. The best combination of strength and price is the lonestar axecaliber.
Yeah, I am just looking for confirmation, basically I want to find out what most of you guys would do. Here's what is already decided: Elkas. Toomeys (probably). I do kinda have a brand preferance so thats probably the way I'm gonna do it. I also decided that I would probably be just fine without rezzies. If at some time I decide I need them, I can pony up $400 and get them.

I decided that if I can afford it, I'm going to work on suspension before power. I really liked Burkedaddy's argument that the banshee is most lacking in the suspension department. As I said before, I am happy with the power I have, I want more, but I'm not dissappointed with what I have already.

When I decide to buy pipes, I'll worry about which ones at that time. Also, although I'm making a duning quad, I'm not making a drag quad. I've heard that CPI are absolute powerhouses and are perfect drag pipes, but I dont want to sacrifice the recreational rideability for total top end power.

I'm sorry that I seem to shoot down your comments, I dont mean to be rude thats just the way I am, I try to defend my ideas. But, regardless of what I may say, I do take your suggestions and comments into consideration and they do make a difference in my final decision.

Anyway, what I do need to think about now, is that although I have decided on the non-rezzie shocks, I am now torn between two models. Should I get the triple rate rec. shocks, or the quadruple rate long-travel shocks? I'm pretty sure that the long travel shocks are mainly for baha-style racing. Would they be wasted on dunes or would they just give me way more travel to soak up every bump in sight? Elka's long travel's are only about $140 more than the triple rates, so right now its not really a matter of cost. I need to figure a few things out though. Are the long travel's meant for dunes or can they be set up for dunes? Do they raise or lower the ride height? Would there be noticable body roll in corners? Who makes long-travel a-arms? I have found a couple long-travel arms for around $700, does any company make them for less? What is a good company to go with?

Keep in mind that I dont do a whole lot of jumping, just a little bit here and there, but nothing major. I just want a really smooth ride and lots of suspension travel to soak up the bumps. I know that the long travel shocks wouldnt fit with my stock arms, I'm prepared to wait a while until I can afford both at one time. What is the total length of the long travel arms? I notice that many of the a-arm packages for long travel mention an 18" shock, but I heard the number 19 3/4" somewhere on the forums and I was wondering if there are different lengths of long-travel shocks? How much travel do the triple rate shocks offer and how much do the long-travel have? Also, regarding the ride height of the bike, would it be nose-up with the long travel's or nose down with the triple rates or would it make a noticable difference at all? Does elka make a long travel shock for the rear and would it require an aftermarket swingarm or just elka's long-travel linkage?

Sorry to have so many questions, I just want to make sure I get the best setup for me. Thanks for all your input guys.