Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Motor

I baught a 1995 Yamaha Warrior a few weeks back. I am new to this ATV as well as this forum. Come to find out after riding less than 1 mile the rod bearing went out. I am guessing the pieces of the needle bearing went up by the piston because there is a score on the cylinder wall. Any suggestion on what I should do? I have a limited budget and the seller says it was sold as is, no warranty.
What parts should I put back in (what type, any suggestions???)
Where do I send the crank to get split and then pressed together?
Where do I send the cylinder to get re-sleeved?

Any comments or suggestions would be great or if you know of someone who has a used good motor for sale let me know.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Motor

After that incident you should go through every last piece on the bike and see what the person maintenanced regularly. I would just find any sort of local engine builder, and I know the top end costed a couple hundred, or a little more, for a friend of mine with a port job included. I'm not sure what most people will charge for the crank split and rebuild though. That guy I mentioned has a cousin that owns some kind of shop and will hook us up with some deals. If you live near me I will get a number or some other form of contact info for you. That's a pretty crappy situation to get stuck in.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warrior Motor

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, the Warrior has a very tough motor, must not have been taken care of very well. Boxhead is right on track, take the motor apart and get it to a local shop to evaluate the damage, the cylinder can be bored,or if damaged badly, sleeved back to stock. Crank work should be done by a shop that has the proper tools for the job. To save some money, you can find a jug on ebay, along with piston and gasket kits, you might even find a bottom end or an entire motor. But then you can't be 100 percent sure of the condition of the parts until you buy them. Spending a little more fixing what you have may cost more at first, but then you can ride knowing all the parts are good, and won't have any more trouble for a long time.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Motor

Just a really rough guess but id say bout 275 for the crank work, bout 150 for top end. Thats assming you do the assembly and dissasembly your self (except crank, dont try to take the crank apart, just take it out). If you make them take it apart and put it back together add about 50-60 bucks per hour of labor.