Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee running a little odd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee running a little odd?

I'm completely new to two strokes, so maybe I'm just not used to them, i have the single carb setup from trinity racing, and I've been messing around with different main jets, no huge differences, so either there is a different problem, or I am just not used to the nature of a Banshee...

It idles fine, and is pretty strong off the bottom end, but in the upper rpms, it's like the power hits a wall, it won't rev any higher, and it's not really pulling very much. I am pretty sure something is wrong.

It's a 99 with LRD headers and weird silencers (homemade?)
it's supposedly bored to 377 cc that's what the previous owner told me
it has the single carb set up from trinty racing
trinity stage IV head
and a KN air filter

Any help or advice would be cool. Sorry, I'm learning...

Old 09-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

You might need to disconnect your parking brake, there's a plug right out of the parking brake and another lower down by the radiator. Also, under the front left side of the gas tank, up under the fender, there's a white plug that also needs to be unplugged if it hasn't already. That is part of the system referred to as TORS, and it could be affecting the electronics of the machine and limiting the rpms. That is quite common.

If that's not it, what jets are you currently running, what size carb are you running, and what is your elevation? Is the upper rpms sputtering and does it sound like it's drowning, or is it a flat bog like there's no more fuel?

Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

even if its not TORS i suggest getting it off, pain in the butt thats all it is

Old 09-30-2004, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Keihin 35mm carb, running a 190 main jet, 52 pilot, air screw is 1.5 to 2 turns, and the needle is in the right posistion, but it is not a CEL needle, which is what it is supposed to have, but I don't know if that would cause this much of a problem. My elevation is 500 to 600 feet. I don't even think i have a parking break, it's been modified quite a bit. I'll try and check for those white plugs. It seems to kinda sputter a bit when it "hits the wall" in the upper rpms. Could it have anything to do with the throttle cable? It just hits certain RPM, which doesn't even seem that high, and stays there, it is still accelerating a little, but not much. It definately doesn't seem like there's no fuel when it does this, it just makes noise and doesn't want to rev any more. I know that banshees are supposed to be faster than this... there's definately something going on.

Thanks for any additional help...