Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to buy - 05' Kodiak 450 or 04' 500 Sportsman???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy - 05' Kodiak 450 or 04' 500 Sportsman???

Originally posted by: OverRaTeD
Thanks all, I admit that I am kinda leaning toward the Kodiak....Hondabuster you just made me more so. The Sportsman has 78cc on the Kodiak but is 126 lbs heavier. I wonder, if you are riding a Sportsman and come up to a large log or rock. Do the back wheels have to spin before the fronts will put it over? If so, that seems like it would suck. Is it hard to steer the Sportsman since both front wheels are locked together? Seems to me if you are on the Kodiak you just lock the front diff before you get into that big mudhole, is that not possible?

I do like the fact that the Kodiak is lighter and smaller and probably easier to handle.

My other quad is a Raptor, one thing that worried me is - the Sportsman hand brake is only on the left side of the handlebars. The clutch is on the left on my Rap and brake on the right. The Sportsman has no lever on the right. I wonder if I might get goofed up when jumping on the Sportsman after riding the Raptor and vice versa. My wife will primarily be riding this new quad, but I want to make the correct choice.
Yep, the back tires have to turn 20% more than the fronts, before the electric hubs lock up on the polaris. And on both of them, its noticably harder to steer when the fronts are locked. You can lock the front when you want on the kodiak, you have control of which tires are engaged, and when. You dont want to engage the diff lock when you have good traction, and theres a rev limiter when in diff lock. The regular 4wd setting, works very well and steers easy. As long as the fronts have somewhat equal traction, itll be 4 wheel drive. If one tire is up, like going over a log, then the tire in the air will get the power, but if you need the one on the ground to pull, just pop it in to diff lock and the tire on the ground pulls. I havent needed to use diff lock much, the regular 4wd has gotten me though a lot of stuff just fine.
See if you can get some test drives on the two, and your wife too. I can see why people buy sportmans, the ride is very refined but I like having control over the 4x4 system, Id rather prevent wheel spin, than to react to it.. that and the way the belt drive goes slack, and the rear only engine brakeing, made me choose the Kodiak.