Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need a new pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new pipe

This pipe gave me good performance, since day one I got rid of the spark arrestor (still have it and will include it with the pipe) and I LOVED the sound. Someone sell me their sparks exhaust cheap! PLEASE!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Great news to hear today as i just bought Wb E-series S-Bend pipe ($226.00) and an Advantage Pro ATV power pack today. Is it really that bad of a pipe? It is on order and I'm suposed to pick it up Thursday.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

I think that the E series was designed for a 400EX. They just adapted it to a Raptor when the Raptor came out. It adds about 7 hp in the low to mid range. Knocks 2 to 3 hp off the top. So, if your peak power was 35, it is now about 32-33. Maybe you can add baffles to increase top end. (I never tried that)

What I didn't like is that it was a rocket out of the hole, but just when it felt like the power should really kick in, it just petered out....kinda dissappointing.

R-4 has a steadier, longer power band, so do most others.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

I really hate my R-4...It's gotten really loud and keeps slipping off the header ..no matter what I do....Looks good though all polished and ****..I'm going with the full MBRP unless anyone has a Sparks x-6 for sale

Old 10-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a new pipe

Originally posted by: ItalianStallion
I really hate my R-4...It's gotten really loud and keeps slipping off the header ..no matter what I do....Looks good though all polished and ****..I'm going with the full MBRP unless anyone has a Sparks x-6 for sale
CT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

About a month ago I tested about 4 full systems and about 5 slip-ons. 3 of the slip-ons where local pipes, so I am not going to talk about them.

I tested the GYT-R and Pro Circuit slip-on. They produce very similar HP and torque, but the Pro-Circuit makes better torque low down.

Now for the shocker! The stock pipe, without the baffle made better HP and torque past 6000 RPM, than all 5 of the slip-on I tested. The slip-on killed the stock pipe at low down power and torque, but the stocker has an edge at top speed.

The full systems I tested were Yoshi, Pro-Circuit, Sparks X6 and CT Racing exhaust. Worst HP was produced by Yoshi. I used the same jetting for all the pipes. Yoshi did not seem to run so well with these jets. Maybe a jet size smaller would have helped. It made slightly more power than the Pro-Circuit, but only for about 500 RPM in the whole RPM range. The rest of the time the Pro-Circuit killed it. Pro-Circuit made the most low down HP and torque and produced good high end power. Most power was produced by the sparks pipe. CT was second. There is only 0.7 HP difference between the CT and Sparks pipe. CT seems to keep producing power a bit longer after it reached max HP, than the rest.

There is only about 2HP difference between all 4 of the full systems I have tested. If you like low down power, the Pro-Circuit is the way to go. The slip-on or the full system makes extremely good low down power. For top end power producing pipes, go Sparks or CT. If you like a well built pipe with low noise output, go Yoshi.

They where tested on the same bike, same mods, same dyno and the same day.

I have the dyno runs if anyone is interested.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Freez your constant testing have been great sources of info for me. The bomb/raptor thread had some great information as well. Thank you for being kind enough to share this information with us and I hope you continue to fill us in on your tests.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Thanks for the info...That had to be alot of work and it is much appreciated.....I have read alot of threads on this site as well as others that say the CT can't hold up...That is falls apart....I am planning on a low compression 690 so a bigger headpipe is needed...I have seen the Sparks perform on Raptor660fams bikes and they perform well and are quieter than I had anticipated...His sisters bike has the CT on it and was beaten by a stock raptor,,,and she is no slouch,,,that girl knows how to handle a Raptor...The MBRP has also had quite a bit of success on the 690's so those are the 2 pipes I have personally narrowed it down to..Sparks and MBRP...(My humble opinion)

Old 10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

I spent 2 days working on different mods. Started with 2 stock bikes. Yes I tested all the mods on two different bikes to make sure I am doing it right. The stockers clocked in at 35HP.

If I have the time I will post a much larger post, but here are the basics. If you like to run with the lid on, loose the snorkel. Don’t even waist your time modifying it. Just rip it off. The K&N that replaces the stock air filter gives more low and high end power, but it does not help to increase max HP at around 6000 RPM. Past 6500 and before 4000 RPM, yes it does add more power. Losing the lid helps quite a bit, but then you need to install the pro design billet adaptor and a big K&N. Jetting is critical or you are better of with the lid on.

Then I did tell you about the exhausts.

I started at 35 HP and ended off at 47HP. Note than I used stock tires, not. Slick will show more HP on the dyno. Taking the bike from 35 to 47 HP means you can increase the power output of the stock raptor motor by 40%. I did not touch the inside of the motor. All stock and all of it was done using bolt on bits.

I made a 6 page document showing dyno reports and what mods I have done. E-mail me at webchill@hotmail.com and I will send it to you guys.

Try that on another bike!!!!

Old 10-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Originally posted by: ItalianStallion
Thanks for the info...That had to be alot of work and it is much appreciated.....I have read alot of threads on this site as well as others that say the CT can't hold up...That is falls apart....I am planning on a low compression 690 so a bigger headpipe is needed...I have seen the Sparks perform on Raptor660fams bikes and they perform well and are quieter than I had anticipated...His sisters bike has the CT on it and was beaten by a stock raptor,,,and she is no slouch,,,that girl knows how to handle a Raptor...The MBRP has also had quite a bit of success on the 690's so those are the 2 pipes I have personally narrowed it down to..Sparks and MBRP...(My humble opinion)
I have seen very few threads criticizing the CT pipe. And most of them were started or steered by raptor fam and other sparks officianados. I have tried to chime in on many of them but I do have the time to worry about all of them. You will not see me attack the sparks pipe, because I feel its an excellent pipe and I have agreed on more than one occasion that the sparks does make more hp. But I do not think that the CT is being properly represented.

All I can say is dont make decisions based on one person's inablity to either tune or ride their machine. A ct piped raptor will never lose to a stock raptor assuming both are tuned correctly and have equal riders and conditions. Most full pipes will be in the same boat, they will provide more power and will beat a stock bike. Any attempt by someone to claim that that incident is representative of the performance of a CT pipe is simply ignorant.

I have had a ct pipe for over a year and a half. The pipe has been cleaned once and that is the extent of the "deterioration" of the pipe. Other people I ride with have ct pipes on their yfz's and z400's and are very happy with them and have had similar experiences. Haven't you ever heard the saying, " Dont believe everything you read on the internet"? Find someone nearby that has a ct, and get some info from them. While the internet and these types of forums are great sources of information, people often simply regurgitate information they hear or maintain a bias towards one product or process against another.

Quick Reply: Need a new pipe