Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need a new pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new pipe

Please don't get me wrong...I have concidered the Ct many times over..and at the moment ,the names of the people on this site escape my memorie as to the experiences they have had with ct...My buddy CTRacingRaptor has one and he swears by it although I believe he told me he thought thier dyno numbers were over inflated...I like the pipe but I just prefer the other 2 over it...In other words if they were all laying on a table in front of me and I were able to pick...I would probably go with the Sparks. And in referance to Rapfam...I know that his sister owns the Ct and I believe she is very happy with it. ....oh wait...bad660r comes to mind...

Old 10-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Originally posted by: Freez

I started at 35 HP and ended off at 47HP. Note than I used stock tires, not. Slick will show more HP on the dyno. Taking the bike from 35 to 47 HP means you can increase the power output of the stock raptor motor by 40%. I did not touch the inside of the motor. All stock and all of it was done using bolt on bits.
Freez,

What jets did you end up with for this mod?

Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a new pipe

ItallianStallion, I'm not saying you have to choose the ct. I just want people to understand that it is right there with the sparks in terms of performance and quality. I dont want people to make their decisions based upon the skewed stories of a small percentage of people. The problem is that CT isnt included in the considerations, like yours.

Somehow I dont think that rapfam's sister could be beaten by a stock machine with a ct pipe and then claim to be happy with it. Something isnt right with that. I dont know the situation with whoever else you were attempting to bring up, so I have no need to comment. I have never seen anyone with anything but a sparks pipe say a bad thing about the ct, so that must speak in some way to the fact that ct isnt complete junk. I dont have much to say on the mbrp, imo the full pipe isnt up to snuff. The slip on is decent as slip ons go, and the drag pipe is very good.

I could go on about this, but its not accomplishing anything.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

I understand what you are saying...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Now as far as Rapfams sister...I saw the races and they blew our minds...thats not to say the pipe is bad at all....but is it possible that some bikes just run better than others...My brother has a stock 04 Raptor...I would imagine it is producing approx35 to 37 h.p.....Kenz dynoed mine at 42 h.p. and I have all the usual crap on it...filter ,jets, R-4 and 12/40 gearing....he beats me everytime..wether it is a long race, a short race or a hill....maybe(and I'm speculating at this point)....they had Wednesday bikes...and I got stuck with a Friday bike.So i.m not saying per say that it's the pipe ..although at the time it seemed that way ...and after my brother kept handing me my own a$$ maybe it was just a better running bike....I am not being sarcastic when I ask ...Is this possible?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Well think about it. If you knew your bike made 42 hp and you knew the other person's bike was stock, and therefore should be below 40, should he beat you? Aside from rider weight and skill, everything else should be the same. You may have saved a few pounds in a lighter pipe, but protection parts can add to the weight of either bike. If you have two raptors and one makes more hp, the one with more hp should be faster. Thats assuming everything else is the same or negligable. Remember that gearing, weight, tires and tire pressure, etc can all make a difference.

Even if he did have a runner, he would should not be making as much hp as your machine unless your machine was not tuned correctly. There are only a few pipes that actually have less peak hp, and almost all aftermarket pipes make more power throughout the rpm range. Therefore the product shouldnt be the problem.

Physics says that if you have two identical objects, and one is pushed with more force than the other, its acceleration will be greater than the other.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Agreed....That is why I'm stumped...Everything you said makes perfect sence...But...we are the same weight give or take a pound...I have holeshots and he has stock tires...jetting might be the problem as far as my bike is concerned...I'll have to look into that...I enjoy these keyboard conversations with you...I learn alot and you always have a great deal to contribute.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

You are no slouch in the info department either. My jetting was way too rich when I first ran installed my pipe. I simply went by the pipe spec and left it. If freez can get 42 hp out of a stock rap without buying more than a few jets, I think we all have a lot to learn with jetting.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

I was smoked by a stock raptor when my Rap was piped and K&Ned. I figured my raptor was just worn out from hauln' a$$ all the time. Thats why I did the 686.

Being smoked by a stock bike is kinda hard to take. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Almost requires therapy.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Thats why I'm doin it too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Thats too bad to hear guys. Three bikes continue to give me trouble. A built zilla, a crf450 quad and a built yfz. I have more than a pipe in it, but I fear 686 with all the trimmings is going to be a necessary step if I dont beat them this winter.

Damn this sport. You are spending out of your butt before you know it.

Quick Reply: Need a new pipe