Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 went swimming - UPDATE...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 went swimming - UPDATE...

I was heading down that path in my head, but really didn't want to tap it if I didn't have to. I tipped it on its grab bar and could look straight into the drain hole. I could see that the threads on the inside went in about 1 inch, while the stupid little drain bolt was only 1/4 inch at best. Only the first 1/8 inch or so of threads on the inside were stripped. So, I went into this industrial supply store and they found a bolt with the same threads, head big enough for the washer, and 1 inch long. I measured it about 10 times to make sure the new bolt wasn't too long - could see parts at the end of the whole that didn't want the bolt to touch. Felt good about it, so I put the new bolt in with the old washer and wam bam thank you mam, we're back in business and the wife is very happy. Says it rides just like before. Man, am I glad to be almost done with this thing. Maybe I can get back to some seat time on mine. Thanks for all the help - sure do appreciate it!!!

BTW... it was a 35 cent fix - gotta love it!!!

Old 10-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

good luck with your quad bro.. i did the same with a bike.. make sure you change the oil a lot!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a kodiak 400 as well and gone swimming twice once in a large creek and the other threw a frozen
lake. Take off the clutch cover and replace the grease in the clutch. It is a SYNTHETIC grease. The other
thing to check is the line that comes off the bottom of the coolant fan, it can suck water through the hose
and seize the motor, if water come out of the bottom of the motor, disconect the temp sensor on the
left side of the rad and using a jumper wire conect the wires on the plug in. Then turn on the key and see if the fan rotates. Turn the key off and spray a little WD40 in the motor, and then turn the key on again.
Also if the ATV was very deep water or in for a long time, take the choke piston out of the carb and put a little grease on it to.