Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

Ok I am looking to get my first ATV. I have riddine them for a couple years but never owned my own.

I like both the wolverine and the scrambler. When I search the old topics I find alot that say scrambler or wolverine are the best.
To make this easier for me please tell me which is better by the questions below.

Overall durability?

Mudding?

Hill climbing?

Rocks?

Driving down creeks?

Plowing my driveway?

jumping?

handling?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

i own a wolv and it keeps impressing me ,i rode a scrambler 500 and i will say its faster,but i did not like the handling at all.yamaha seems to have a better track record when it comes to repairs.the wolv is more utility.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm. Well lets see.

Overall durability? Both machines hold up well if taken care of. But I think i would give this one to the wolvy because of it's less complex design.

Mudding? The Scam takes this one. It has more power.

Hill climbing? Not sure on this one never hill climbed ether. I know i like the auto tranny for climbing because on the way up i hate fooling with gears. But the Scram is kind of top heavy.

Rocks? Scram has better ground clearance and with it's extra power you can put larger tires on it.

Driving down creeks? ether long has you don't go over the air breather

Plowing my driveway? Scram has more power and weights more so it's going to push a plow better.

jumping? Wolvy it a little more sporty and jumps better.

handling? Wolvy is a sportier quad.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have my wolvy and have driven a scram on a few different occasions. The scram are faster, but everything else you are asking about, I like the wolverine much better. I live in Minnesota so I have plenty of experience with everything you are asking about. Another benefit of the wolverine is that they are great in stock form, but you can also soup it up to your hearts desire. One other thing to think about is do you want and auto or do you want to shift. All I know is I have been riding mine for three years on a regular basis and it has never let me down, it just plain great.

Ryan

PS I have pulled a few scramblers out of a few mud holes because they couldn't hang with me.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

The Nov. issue of ATV rider just did a head to head on these 2 machines. Might be worth taking a look into.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

I think it would come down to if I wanted automatic or not. If automatic is something that appeals to you go with the Scrambler.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

the thing i like bout my scrammy is i can actually come out of 4x4 unliek the wolvy. the scrambler is heavier but its alright jumping. and wayyyyyyyyyy faster. but the wolverine is nice to.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: budman07
the thing i like bout my scrammy is i can actually come out of 4x4 unliek the wolvy.

That is why everyone who has it says that the warn 424 select is the best thing ever for the wolverine. I can't wait to get mine, and they have gone down in price to about $220.

Ryan

Old 10-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

I like Yamaha but the Scrambler will pretty much blow the Wolverine away in almost any situation. I've had one and loved it. It handles very well and will keep up with most sport quads in the woods. I had mine for 4 years and didn't have a problem at all, they are very durable and reliable. They are not the best pullers though due to only having a high range which is why I switched to my Grizz. I do alot of wood hauling. Go with the Scrambler.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

The Wolv has shaft drive, while the Scrammy has a rear chain. The Wolv also weighs nearly 100 lbs. lighter. The Scrammy has some nice guages, in and out 4wd, and liquid cooling. If you want an auto and something more on the utility side go with the Scrambler. If you want a shifter and something that leans more to the sport side go with the Wolverine. The Wolverine can run with almost anything on trails because of its great handling, but it's going to have a hard time keeping up on the wide open straights. If you go with a Wolverine a Warn 424, skid plate, and (due to it's lack of power) a pipe is a must. Remember to factor these costs into the equation. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Once again Wolverine, scrambler500