Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I know about the clicking valves on the wolverine if it's rather loud should it be readjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know about the clicking valves on the wolverine if it's rather loud should it be replace

I alreaty know that it does it all the time but would it run bet without the clicking valves? just wondering? is it hard to readjust it your self?

Old 10-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know about the clicking valves on the wolverine if it's rather loud should it be readjusted?

Yes, if your valves are rattling they need adjustment. All you really need is a feeler guage and a factory service manual and its not that dfficult to do yourself.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I know about the clicking valves on the wolverine if it's rather loud should it be readjusted?

If the valves are properly adjusted they will be quiet ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

geo

Old 10-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

MAN I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS ON MY RAP 350 SAME MOTOR DIFFRENT GEARING ITS A LITTLE TOUGH BUT NOT BAD GO FOR IT AS HE SAID YOU WILL NEED A FEELER GAUGE TO CHECK CLEARNCE ON THEM THE EXAUST IS 15-20 AND THE INTAKE IS 6-10 ON MINE MAYBE THE SAME ON YOURS TO CHECK THEM FIRST OFF YOU HAVE TO GET UR PISTON TDC WHICM MEANS TOP DEAD CENTER EASIEST WAY OF DOING THIS IS BY TAKEING OUT YOU SPARK PLUG AND PUTTING THE REAR OF UR QUAD ON JACK STANDS TO GET THE TIRES OFF THE GROUND NOW PUT UR QUAD IN ITS HIGHTES GEAR 5-6 WHICH EVER IS ITS HIGHEST AND THEN GET A SCREW DRIVER STICK IT IN THE SPARK PLUG HOLE SEE IF YOU CAN FIND THE PISTON IF YOU CANT TURN THE WHEELS SLOWLY AND KEEP CHECKING TILL U GET THE PISTON ALL THE WAY UP when you do ur there then get the valve covers off and see were there at if there loose then loosen the jam nut on the top of one and turn the set screw with ur finger!!!! and then check it with the feeler gauge keep doing till u get the rite ......and just a little side note when you use the feeler gauge it should be hard to get in between the valve and set screw lube the feeler gauge up with a lil oil make it a lil easier and when u get it rite an ur ready to tighten the jam nut on it use a wrench its a 10 mm and hold the ste screw cause if you dont it will turn and be too tight if you have any more questions give me a hollar

sorry bout the capps lol JeReMy

Old 10-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I hope you are speaking as a previous warrior or wolverine owner. I have owned both and my buddies have them as well. All of them have rattling valvetrain. I used to work in a bike shop and let me tell you, even when adjusted properly, the valves in this particular design still rattle.

Adjustment will quiet them some, but they will always be noticeable.

As for adjustment, if an older wolverine, remove the cover off the left side crankcase (newer one, remove the pull starter). Under this cover is a 17mm (if I remember correctly) bolt head threaded into the crank. You can use a socket and ratchet to turn the engine over slowly instead of doing as the previous post mentioned.