Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'04 Blaster, oil light stays on, overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Blaster, oil light stays on, overheating?

I have an '04 Yamaha Blaster. I have ridden it 3 times since I changed the oil. Yes, there is oil in it!

The 2nd time I was riding it, the oil light came on part way thru the day and stayed on. The light would shut whenever I opened up the bike on a straight-a-way, but would come back on once I slowed down. I had no choice but to ride it back to the trailor.
I took it out again, earlier this week and the same thing happened again. I shut it off once the light came on.

Could it be running too hot? The air filter is a little dirty, and I will be cleaning it before I go again.
Could it need an air/fuel mixture adjustment?

Or is it most likely the oil?

Appreciate any help!
Thanks

Old 10-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Make sure there are no kinks or holes in your oil line, this runs directly along the side past your right leg. If this gets cut or blocked it stops the oil from getting to the engine, so it would cause the light to come on or to just sieze the piston, so i would check that, i installed an oil injector block off kit and just mix the oil and gas, its a lot saffer that way.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I think your confused, or I am. You say you have riden it 3 times sence the oil change right? What oil did you change, the bottom end? The oil light is to indicate when your oil injection tank is running low and when you need to fill up with pre-mix, It has nothing to do with your bottom end, engine temp, or jetting. Its basically a sensor that tells you when to fill the tank.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

yea id say ur definetely confused. that light is only good for ur 2stroke injection oil. the light comes on when ur at about half, then shuts off, and comes on when ur lower and stays on until u add oil. it has nothing what so ever to do with ur engine oil or your engine overheating.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

your oil injection tank is under the back left fender and you take off the seat to fill it, i think you are talking about the tranny oil when you say you changed the oil

Old 10-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

yea u chaged the oil...in the tranny ..check ur oil injecsion under ur back fender...the light comes on when its at like half way cuz its werid...so put a lil more in it

Old 10-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, to all of you guys. The 2-stroke oil resevoir is at about 1/2. I'm such a newbie.

A couple of guys that I go riding with told me that the light staying on means that the bike's overheating. I guess they're newbs too.

I did order a oil injection block off kit though. I'd rather premix, just to be on the safe side.

Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Knutz99
Thanks, to all of you guys. The 2-stroke oil resevoir is at about 1/2. I'm such a newbie.

A couple of guys that I go riding with told me that the light staying on means that the bike's overheating. I guess they're newbs too.

I did order a oil injection block off kit though. I'd rather premix, just to be on the safe side.

My own opinion, I'd stay with the auto injection. They never fail cause they're all gear driven. You always get the correct mix too. I think there are more variables with mixing your own, unless maybe if you are racing or something

Old 10-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Markymannn
Originally posted by: Knutz99

My own opinion, I'd stay with the auto injection. They never fail cause they're all gear driven. You always get the correct mix too. I think there are more variables with mixing your own, unless maybe if you are racing or something
yea...drivin by a plastic gear I might add.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

blasters are good, ----- the injection system.