Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need a new clutch barnett not holding up

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new clutch barnett not holding up

just installed a new barnett clutch kit just the clutches and the thing still slips. when you hammer it going into second it seems like the motor is turning alot harder than the wheels are turning. but if you let off the gas and get back in it she'll come back to life. the barnett didn't hold, so what should i run. i havent got the pressure plate or the aftermarket basket, i called the dealer and they told me it would be about $800 dollars to get the entire kit clutches pressure plate and the basket. that seemed kinda high so maybe you all tell me what i need to make the thing grab.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know much about your problem but im planning on doing a 686.. and my clutch slips about every 50 or so rides cause i ride HARD!!! this is normal if i beat the p!ss out of it right? When its bored out and has a lot more power would the clutch slip a lot more?

Old 10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hate to say pal but you might want to search this topic and see what others think of the Barnett clutch in a four strok. NOT a good idea. To make it short and simple the Barnett clutch is made of Kevlar and when you burn a Kevlar clutch in a four stroke the Kevlar goes throughout your motor causing a whole lot of problems. Kevlar is like sand in your motor. Trust me I learnsd from experience.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

hmm how about the HD one.. or somthing??

Old 10-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

no Kevlar clutch

Old 10-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

your problem is propally the pressure plates if the worped just a littel you will still have a slipping problem i have had many exsprience with barrnet clutches and they are awsome . but check the pressure plates out if they are discolred or worped just a littel replace them..this is a common mastike a lot of peopel make changing the fiber plates with out changing the pressure plates.and the pressure plates should only just like another 40 bucks.also check the clutch basket for groves if it is groved up i can also make the cluctch not move probally and cuase a slipping problem.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

check ito a gytr clutch and you won't have any problems. I've talked with Hinson and they have a new clutch plate system that works well also

Old 11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

yea i just ordered the gytr pressure plate and the basket and all the clutches

Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

i thought the dirt digger was carbon. anyway, check your cable adjustment. i installed the dirt digger on my yfz and it still slipped then i adjusted the cable and was blown away by the difference even over stock. barnetts a good clutch. check into dpk though too. they claim to be superior to stock and aftermarket.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barnett sells kevlar, carbon, and cork to my knowledge.

Quick Reply: need a new clutch barnett not holding up