Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

Originally posted by: Lfraga
garyc660R, we posted at the same time...Thanks for your opinion!Great info on the engine department!Here we don't ride on sand (no dunes, just beaches), so that's not an issue.Do you find your quad being tippy a major problem or not at all?With spacers (I think it's what they are called in english) is the problem solved or not?Thanks again!
I do not find the Raptor tippy, but I do not pavement ride, so you will find the Raptor tippy no doubt. Spacers are relitavely cheap ($50-60 per set here in the states), and will give you about 5 inches front and back. This will make a world of difference for pavement handling. Lowering block are available cheap as well for the front shocks. At the rear, a simple, free mod is available as well, this lowers the entire machine around 2-2.5". A lower center of gravity will help handling as well. For woods riding, you will probably have too remove these items though and go back too stock. A lower Raptor has less ground clearance, and a wider Raptor puts additional stress on stock components. Stock, you will be ready for tight woods riding at that point.
Welcome too the forums bro!
Gary

Old 10-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

If you want to get up and go them the YFZ but i think for the comfort pick the raptor and the raptor has a bigger gas tank and reverse

Old 10-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

IMO, the raptor is all about torque, it is also fast. the YFZ is quicker, but you dont feel the same tractor pull as the raptor. In top speeds, they should be the about the same. They are both very reliable. My raptor and YFZ haven't had major problems. I will also tell you that the Raptor is way more comfortable then the YFZ, IMO the YFZ gets you more tired quickly.

How tall are you and how much do you weight, this could really determine your match.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

*Fred

Old 10-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you're worried about a tippy raptor you could just buy spacers for $50 (USA). But i think the raptor would be better for what you're going to be doing, more of a reliable engine. IMO

just curious, hows the weather in the azores?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

The weather here is pretty balanced, you get some rainny days in the summer, and also some sunny days in the winter.
Temperature usually never goes above 26/27º C, but it's very humid, like more than 90% humidity, even in summer...
In the winter, temperature is 9/10º C, 8º C in the worst cases, which is nice. Doesn't snow.
Don't know how much is all that in F...

Regarding my weight and height, it's 1,71m for 82kg (182 pounds, I lift weights), again don't know how much is that height in your imperial system.

I won't be doing a lot of pavement riding, for that I would have bought a motorcycle!
But sometimes between trails we do ride on public roads, and sometimes even the highway, so top speed is kind of important.
It takes forever if you're going slow...
And handling is not a problem on asphalt, as long as you know the limits of the machine. I had an LTZ400 before, and that was never an issue.

GaryC, thanks for the welcome!
I come here for a long time, and I have posted a few times, but I forgot my login and password, so I had to get new ones...
It's the best atv forum I've found, by far!

There are some great replys here, great info!
Thanks guys!

It's a tough choice, but your opinions are helping a lot.

Any more opinions?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Another question:
With simple mods (pipe/filter/carbed), how many miles will I get out a tank when fast ridding?
I presume less than stock, right?

I ask this because our rides are usually rather long, usually 60 miles or more (we don't carry our quads on trucks to the trails, because they are street legal, so it's from and to home always on the quad).

Will I have enough fuel for that with the stock fuel tank and with the mods, or will I have to get an IMS?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say go with the rappy...
it seems your not doin any mx that u need the yfz's super light weigh!
u want top speed too so there you go... the rappy got a better top end!
very stong engine? 660 is stronger then 450 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
reliability! rappy is on the market much more then the yfz... so rappy takes this 1 !
u said u ride trails? ohhhh u need reverse bud! i got a ds and i eat crAp on trails!
rappy got stronger/heavier frame!

i think its a clear one bud... go with the rappy...!

Old 10-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

raptor...you need reverse on a quad....

Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You wanted reverse, and a high top speed...sounds like a Raptor to me. But make sure you wear your helmet with any type of riding...espicallyon pavement.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

I think that with your size and the looks of the riding you will be doing a Raptor would be a fine choice. The YFZ has a small riding position and may not be comfortable for extended rides. The YFZ is fast but I know after an hour I was looking for my DS..

Quick Reply: Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?