Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

Me and my buddy with his YFZ450 just took a hauln' *** trip this past weekend. Lots of full throttle. We clocked 68 miles. Neither of us hit reserve.

The YFZ is all stock.

My Raptor has quite a bit of mods but it didn't seem to affect it's range at all on trips.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

LFraga, when magazine companies do shootouts usually they can be unrealistic, biased or just incorrect information. Really with just a pipe bolt on i can guarantee you will not get a 15 hp increase. With a stock filter it would be unrealistic because the same amount of air will be going to the engine and how much hp increase can you gain from a pipe recieving the same amount of air as the stock exhaust. I dont know for sure, maybe you are right but from my experience a pipe cannot add a 35% hp increase.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and to answer your question i dont think you could go 60 miles on one tank going fast even on a stock raptor.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Carmelo15
Oh and to answer your question i dont think you could go 60 miles on one tank going fast even on a stock raptor.
The raptor holds 3.2 Gallons of gas. Be conservative, say 3 gallons. You are telling me that a stock raptor wont get 20 miles to the gallon? Unless you are in some tight trails, I would think it would be possible.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

lfraga-
1 meter=3.28 ft. 1.71 meters = 5 ft. 7 inches. Nice pictures, I knew a guy who used to live in the Azores, his description did not do it justice. Very beautiful place. Good luck with which ever quad you choose.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have a YFZ and wouldn't trade it for the world......but for what you are decribing, sounds like you would enjoy the Raptor more......and the only time the Raptor really feels tippy is on the MX tracks - I've never worried about it fast trail riding....even on tight corners.......

Good luck with your choice! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

if your intrested in really riding it on the roads to work and what not i would deff not get the yfz becuase idk if i would stand sitting on that seat for a very long time everyday its hard enough just trail riding imagen riding it to work everyday owww

Old 11-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

I got a 04 raptor660 and I ride it like crazy all over the place. I do not think it is tippy, but keep in mind I did put on a wider axle and new suspension. I ride it up my road (which is illegal here) and all around at top speed which I assume is like 70 something, I have no problems with it wanting to tip. Also proper body language can really help with preventing a tip over as well so it can also depend with any quad you buy how experienced of a rider you are.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

From the looks of the type of riding you would be doing, I would go with the raptor. I believe the raptor would handle some of the more technical terrain with better agility.

Can I come ride with you guys some time? Those pictures are bad ****!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Trailblazer

Sure you can, Roobus.

Just buy a plane ticket to Azores Islands, Portugal... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?