Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?

I'm Portuguese, so I apologise in advance for all the ortographic/grammar mistakes.

I'm going to buy one of them in the near future, but no matter how much I read about them, I can't make up my mind...

My priorities are:
-Very strong engine
-Top speed (in Portugal it's legal to ride quads on paved public roads, so we ride flat out lot's of times, top speed being, in this case, an issue)
-Stability
-reliability
-reverse

As you can see, the perfect quad for me would a blend of the both, ence the hesitation...

I basically ride only trails, with some rocky terrain once in a while.

I was inclined for the raptor, because of reverse, broad powerband and ability to achieve major powergains from simple mods.
But because it's tippy, I'm not so sure anymore...

And besides I've heard complaints about it not being very strong (bent frames, ect) when you hit something...

The YFZ is also a great choice, but I'm concerned about the engine reliability issues...

And with equal simple mods (exhaust, k&N and dynojet kit), which one is faster (top speed) and stronger (acceleration)?

Does anyone know when the new raptor with fuel injection is coming out?
(4 valve XT600X engine)

I want unbiased information!
No bashing, please!

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for all the help you can give.

P.S
I live in Azores, a group of beautifull 9 islands. You can watch some beautiful pictures here:
http://www.cmsmiguel.inazores.com/fotos.htm

Here's some examples:

Photo 1.....Photo 2.....Photo 3.....Photo 4.....Photo 5

Photo 6.....Photo 7.....Photo 8.....Photo 9.....Photo 10

Hope you guys like it, and sorry for the long post!

Old 10-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

They are both very fast bikes, although the YFZ 450 is a little more expensive than the Raptor 660 , and has no reverse.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Go to Yamaha's website. You can get all the info you need.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the great pics...nice appearing place you live in there...congrats! Thats a tough decision you have there. In your situation, all the YFZ has going for you is handling, which is very important for high speed pavement riding. Keep in mind no atv is made for high speed pavement riding (course it can be done..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
With both the YFZ and Raptor piped, the Raptor should have better acceleration and a lot more top speed. The only exception here appears too be in sand dunes where light weight is rewarded over a heavy machine....so the people here in the USA that live on the west coast seem too really like their YFZ's over Raptors (we have select other sand areas too play as well, but the west coast is predominant).
Pulling out and asking for brisk acceleration without really working the engine hard will be tougher on the YFZ as well. The YFZ has a peaky and more narrow primary power range...so gearing will need too be matched too the engine...meaning higher top speed gearing takes the engine out of it's element.
In stock form, or piped form, Raptor engine problems rarely are heard of, whereas on the 450 it's not uncommon too hear of motor troubles.....but this comes with the territory when you purchase the most capable racer / mx'er right out of the box, off the showroom floor.
Don't worry about either bending frames and other components, both have a good, strong chassis. No quad is gonna not have damage if you hit a tree at 30MPH.
Reverse, you already know the YFZ has no reverse....I would not base any decision on reverse....IMO reverse is overrated....especially with a light quad like the YFZ in the woods. I do not pavement ride though, so instead of turning the wheel and spinning the machine around, you may have too dismount and lug the machine around.
Basically, your decision is do you want a racer with peaky power, or a trail rider with broad power that needs widened and possibly lowered. A DS 650 should be on your short list as well.
Gary

Old 10-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

I've been before to the yamaha's website many times, I already know all the technical stuff.

I just want the opinion from the owners.

The spec sheet is one thing, riding the quad is another thing...

Besides, I would also want to know which one is faster with the mods I listed.

And yes, the YFZ not having reverse is a major drawback for me.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

garyc660R, we posted at the same time...
Thanks for your opinion!
Great info on the engine department!

Here we don't ride on sand (no dunes, just beaches), so that's not an issue.

Do you find your quad being tippy a major problem or not at all?

With spacers (I think it's what they are called in english) is the problem solved or not?

Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

I have both Quads. For the trails I like my Rappy, For all out performance the 450 hands down, IMO it's not a trail quad. I've looked at your pics (very nice pics) with that kind of terrain why not a utilty quad?????? Theres alot of pros and cons for the question that your asking, I guess it comes down to what ever choice you want to make....... good luck

Old 10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. Then. I have a piped and jetted 01 Raptor 660, with Holeshot xc's on the rear. I love the bike,,it'll try to pull your arms off. It's great on the trails an on the dragstrip,(sand). I very seldom ride it on pavement. Not bashing the YFZ's in any way, I have never been beaten by one at the drags. Hopes this helps you in your tough decision.
Bosch

Old 10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, bigdaddy!

More pics:
http://www.cmsmiguel.inazores.com/fotos/
http://www.cmsmiguel.inazores.com/fo...dex.php?cat=17

I already have an utility quad: an Outlander max xt.

I just want a sports quad to complement!

Old 10-31-2004, 09:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

With the question you've asked, I'd go with the raptor, do some work on er and have fun on the trails!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Which one to buy: YFZ or Raptor?