Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Aggressive riding Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggresive riding Grizzly

Greetings in Yamaha land. I have a few questions for any Griz 660 owners.
First off, let me say that I ride dirtbikes mostly. I have ridden many quads but not to the extreme that I would like considering that they were friends quads. As far as the sport quad thing, I can get that on a dirtbike until cash for toys is available. I am a big guy and don't mind having to muscle a bike (body english). The top speed thing is not an issue due to the fact that this quad will be ridden in woods.
What interest me is speed out of a corner and in short distances (one corner to the next)
I have ridden the kodiak 400 and like it except for the lack of acceleration and front end roll. From what I hear, the Grizzly is a bigger, faster, kodiak with I.R.S. If the front end roll is the same can it be fixed by stiffening the front shocks? Plush is NOT an issue. Power Sliding or (drifting) is good. Can I steer the Grizzly with the throttle? I like the fact that you can get a solid axle effect with the swaybar or remove it for true I.R.S. I guess my point is, I need a big utility quad that can be ridden hard. I cannot help my riding style, just what I ride. Does anyone else feel this way and how did the Grizzly hold up? THANKS

Old 11-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Aggresive riding Grizzly

Welcome to the forums. The Grizz is a bada$$ machine. We rode the ice last winter and my buddy on his Grizz was always ahead of me, the creek was severely wooped and my rear suspension is stiffer than a pastor's dikk. That IRS rides like a Cadillac. I think this would be my first choice if I were in th market for a ute.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Aggressive riding Grizzly

Thanks for the info. How is that KFX 700?

Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

I like it quite a bit, even more now as I throw mods at it. The only thing I don't like is the rear suspension. There is not much travel and is very stiff.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your better off with a Prarie 700.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've rode the grizzly and yes it rides like a cadillac but for agressive trail riding your gonna be better off with a prairie 700 or sometihng with SRA because the grizzly is always gonna feel like its gonna tip over when u go into a corner hard

Old 11-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I've heard that but don,t really like Mac. struts of course Ive never ridden a Praire. What about the kawi tranny? I don't care if it is solid axle, just wonder about durability. and no hondas. There is no question that kawasaki makes power. Which one has a lower C.O.G.?

Old 11-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there a way to reduce the body roll, I've heard that the swaybar acts as a SRA The problem with the kodiak seemed to be the front shocks. Have an of you fixed the body roll on a grizzly?

Old 11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

In the December issue of Dirt Wheels they have a great write up on the Grizzly and the things you can do to better the suspension and all kinds of other things.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me if your going to ride hard then get the Kawi P700, if you want to really stick with IRS them get the King Quad with EFI. Im not knocking the Grizzly, its a great work horse, but not a performace machine

Quick Reply: Aggressive riding Grizzly