Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster Problems

My friend has a 2001 yamaha blaster and it has had problems since day one. He brought it to the shop, got his after market pipes installed, air filter, all new brakes all around, and some engine work done that he doesnt even know what they did. I was riding it around, and it was running great, so we decided to take it out riding in the trails. We go about a mile, then it dies. It takes about 10 minutes of kicking it over, then it starts and goes for a few hundred feet, it then dies again and takes about 20 minutes of kicking it over to get it to start. So we go another few hundred feet, then it dies again. This time it wouldnt start. I kicked it over for about 30 minutes, then we I just towed it back. When we got back, we started going into it. The first thing we checked was the spark, which it had. The next thing, was we dumped gas straight in the carb. It would start and run until the gas in the carb ran out. So then, we started tearing into the carb. The jet was clean, and so was everythign else. Gas went through the gas line from the tank to the carb perfectly. So this leads me to believe that the floats are off. He doesnt have a service manual, or the money to buy one because he still has to pay his dad the 900 bucks the shop charged him. He won't bring it back to the shop, because his dad was so mad at them, he doesnt want them to touch the quad again. My dad is a very good auto mechanic, but does not want to touch anything without knowing the exact specs on the carb, so he hasnt adjusted anything else. Thanks for reading this long post, but, any Ideas or Carb specs. Thanks a lot, i am sure you guys will give me some help.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Also, if you need some pics to help you help me, just ask. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Come on, I know one of you guys can help me out.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Rem
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

i might be able to help. i have a blaster too. First off, find out what the heck the stealership did to your friends quad. To be safe i would remove the oil injector and get a block off kit and follow the easy instructions that are usually provided with the kit. i have a manual right here at my desk, so just ask something about the carb that you wanna know, and i can try helping you.

My blaster was acting like that, then the top end took a crap, cuz the oil injector hose filled up with junk and oil wasnt flowing to the engine. So, to be safe, just block it off and start premixing. what pipes did he get? how smart is your friend dealing with quads? does he know a powervalve from a reed valve?? just tell me what to look up , and hopefully i can help you

Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

take it back to the shop that supposedly fixed it.
you trusted them enough to spend $900 there...now go get your money's worth.
find the repair order and READ IT first. see what you were charged for.
If I made a mistake on a quad and the customer was unhappy, I'd surely want to have the rig back to check it out!
good techs take pride in their work and their reputation...give the tech a chance before ya go fiddling with it... oops!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

raptor8, is correct, if you have to, raise hell with em cause $900 is alotta money to spend and not have your bike running!

Hey, you're from Bend raptor8, me too!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Believe me, if it was my quad, i would definately have brought it back, but my friend says that his dad won't bring it back for some reason, so i dunno. I'll take a look at the list of what was done to it because my friend told me what was done, and he is not mechanically incline at all. He can't even change a bike tire tube. About blocking off the oil injector, my friend has wanted to, but me and my other friends have talked him out of it, because this kid would seriously mess up mixing the oil and end up killing his whole quad. But we check it often to make sure oil is still going through. Another thing about the dealership, he has all my friends stock parts, like his old chains and sprockets, his stock pipes, plus, they still have his jet kit which they didnt install. When i took apart the carb it still had the 230 jet which i believe is stock. My friend was like, my dad wont bring me back to get my stuff or call and see if they have it. So i called for it, and the guy was like, yea, we have it. But my friend said that his dad wouldnt go and pick the stuff up. I could tell it would need to be jetted just at the fact that it would start boggen down when you hit the throttle all the way. Basicall, what could help me out right now, is a test to see if the floats are off, the stock adjustments of the floats, and how to adjust them. Once again, thanks for listening to my long story.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Tell your friends dad to stop being a little b!tch. What kinda parent would want their kid getting ripped off of 900 bucks. If he won't take it, make arrangments to do it yourself. But if you do take it back, don't mess with it anymore beause they can arguee that you messed somthing up, not them.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Blaster Problems

You have pipes and a new air filter, and still the 230 jet? Speaking from experience, I wonder if you fried it. Do a compression test. You may have been running too lean. The Blaster I had with a Toomey and no lid, I ran a 310 jet. You can take the cylinder head off and see the condition of the piston and bore, if the piston melted and messed up the bore. But what you describe as you're last ride out, you cooked it. The same exact thing happened with mine when I did not jet richer in the winter with the 310 I had. Advice I got was I should have gone up to a 340-360 jet

Old 11-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Thanks for the suggestions, but i dont have my license, and neither does my friend, so, as of now, there isnt a way to get the stuff. Me and my dad are willing to work on it, but its just my friend, actually, my friends dad, who is being stubborn. As for taking off the cylinder head, I dontfeel comfortable doing that on my friends quad, even though i have confidence that i could do it, because i havnt done it before, and my dad wont do it, because like me and everyone else, he wants to take it back to the shop. I had a feeling that not having it rejetted would cause it too, but i wasnt sure. I dont think i fried the engine though, because it will run if you dump gas straight into the carb. It does have compression, not sure if is the right amount, but when the plug is out, it turns over much, much easier. Thanks for listening to my rambling, and if you have anymore suggestions, post them, and i'll write back if i get anymore info on it.

Quick Reply: Blaster Problems