Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster Problems

Listen, I was the KING of "I don't feel comfortable doing that". I you have a Blaster, you will work on it yourself and become comfortable. That's the nature of the quad. Or you can go to the dealer and go broke like your $900. The head is the top, 6-8 bolts holding it on. Take off the gas tank to get to it and just remove, check it out, replace the gasket, and re-torque the head bolts. Of course you don't even have to do that if you have a compression tester and go that route. Doesn't Autozone rent tools for free? Try them. Maybe even the easist way yet, when you kick the kick-starter, does it still take the same amount of effort it always did? If you burnt it up, the KS will feel virtually no resistance

Old 11-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Sence you have already tore into the carb, the odds of you getting any money back or the work fixed is slim to none. Have you checked into the reeds yet?

Descibe what you mean by it "dies." How does it act right before it cuts out.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Well, it wont even start now. But, when it did die, it died as if it ran out of gas. like I would rev it, it would sputter, then rev a little more, then sputter more, then rev a little, then sputter more, then die.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Believe me, i got the tools and all that stuff, but it isnt my quad, and im not gonna do anything i dont know how to do to it. About the shop not taking it, we have not done any thing to the carb that they could notice. just taken it apart to see if anything noticeable was wrong, then put it back together. Didnt fiddle with anything. Thanks for all your opinions.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Pull the reeds out and check them, it sounds like you migth have a crack there.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

if the guy cant make up premix, he shouldnt be ridin on the trails, or on a quad!... bythe way, where yalls ride at so i never go there, dont wanna get hit by a n00b.. either way, take it back to the shop, most shops stand by their work, but if u messed wit it at all, ie. takin it apart, ur warranty is null and void. sorry guess ur sol

Old 11-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Originally posted by: YFZ450kid
if the guy cant make up premix, he shouldnt be ridin on the trails, or on a quad!... bythe way, where yalls ride at so i never go there, dont wanna get hit by a n00b.. either way, take it back to the shop, most shops stand by their work, but if u messed wit it at all, ie. takin it apart, ur warranty is null and void. sorry guess ur sol
Your screen name stands very true.
This guys lookin for help, no need to bash into him like that.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Range Rover
Default Blaster Problems

Hey 300exRJ, I know it isn't your quad, but however this ends up, be sure to post it on here. I'd be interested to know what ultimately was the problem. Good luck to your friend.

That engine work he had done was probably a top end rebuild. Some shops stink at that. I went to the biggest shop in my area with my old '99 Blaster and got back a bore completely out of spec with a piston with a really sloppy fit. They wouldn't stand behind it and denied their work was junk. Put it all together and got 95PSI. It was all I could do to get it to fire. Took it apart, went to another place that did a great job with the spec's, I put it together and got 135PSI and it ran great. I still can't believe that quad would run good with those mod's and a 230 jet. Too lean

Old 11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Why don't you just take the head off and look into the cylinder, a head gasket is only about 8.00

Old 11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster Problems

Well, my friend is willing to let me go into the engine, so now i need some pointers. First of all, what should I be looking for. I'll take pics of it for you guy to get some more opinions. Also, this may be a bad question, but to do a top end rebuild, what will I need, of do you think its better off to bring it somewhere to do it. I mean, i have a feeling with some instructions i'll be able to do it fine, plus, i got my dad to help me out if I mess up. Thanks for all your help so far.

Quick Reply: Blaster Problems