Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought 2003 Grizzly... I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2003 Grizzly... I have a few questions.

The Grizzly I bought is the Limited Edition with all the skid plates. It was $5299 plus tax & license so it was just under $6000. It also came with a brand new just installed Warn 2500lb winch and a 30 day warranty.

Granted I could have got a little better deal if I looked around for used ones but it was everything I wanted. I also got them to through in the 30 day warranty which I will test on Monday.

A new Grizzly Limited Edition was over $8500 after tax & license plus the set-up/freight fees. Not to mention the 3 dealers I went to had to "order" the 2005 Grizzly as no-one had one in stock. So I went with the used one and I had money left over to buy my son a new Bombadier DS 50. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I agree it was a little high but I wanted it and I got it. It's not the first time I've paid too much for something that I wanted.

What is the URL for axle replacements? Mine are all fine right now but I want an extra one or two just in case. Are the fronts and rears different? Are there differences between the right & left sides?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 11-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

the price may be a factor in your area is all. prices vary throughout the nation. i have seen brand new 2005 grizzly's sell out the door for as low as 6300.00 now, add in a warrenty,and a 2500 wench installed, and your near 7500.00 out the door.
as for the axles. the rear ones are differant, and the rears are differant from the fronts. they are also expencive. the best bet is, if you break one, order a new one from gorilla axles. they are the same price as stock, and 10 times better. they run about 350.00 each shipped. better yet, buy a lift kit, and longer axles, and go up to 8 inch taller, heehee. can you say mud!!!! of corse, that costs a small fortune.
have them serve your small issues, and go from there. when you have them jet for your elevation, along with cleaning the tranny out, you will find ALOT more power there. it will make you sing, lol.
send me a p.m. and i can show ya some goodies for a griz that, if your wallet can handle it, your body will thank you, lol.
great quad, have a ball with it!

Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Andy, you are right, a good squeeze on the rear brake lever will release the interlock and allow you to shift into reverse or park (tried it today), so you can use either the brake lever or the brake pedal for shifting into reverse / park. Although to perform that action you really need two left hands! I actually like the Grizzly shift setup better than my Brute simply because I can keep my right hand at the throttle (throttle closed though) and just reach down with the left hand to shift (while simultaneously pushing on the pedal brake if shifting into reverse). The Brute doesn't have the reverse interlock like the Grizzly so there's nothing to do but shift, although I find myself reaching over to the right side (where the shifter is) with my left hand sometimes while my right hand stays at the throttle (I guess being a southpaw may have something to do with it)...

Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Update: The dealer had my Grizzly for a couple of days and they did the following:

- Re-wired and installed a new ignition switch (I think this may have eliminated the cutting out)
- Serviced the radiator
- They ordered me a new gas cap since they think the current one is hydro locking on me

I turned the throttle screw almost all the way out. It was never discussed at the dealer that this may have been an issue with my lack of power but I do notice a little more throttle than before.

Now I am able to wheelie and get up to 64mph now. It didn't overheat today like last time. It's a totally different Grizzly and for the most part I am happy.

On to making it better...

- What are the first things I should do for more quickness? I don't need more top end speed but I would like a quicker take off and a little more power coming out of corners. I know it's not a race ATV but come on... it has a 660 engine in it so it should move a little quicker than it is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

- Air cleaner, exhaust, carb jets, etc? I prefer reliability over performance so I need to be careful with the mods.

- Handle bars: I want better bars. It feels like the stock ones are going to bend or break when I try to wheelie. They seem "soft"

- Bead lock rims. I want tough rims NOT fancy rims. Solid steel with bead locks suit me. Where do I go to get them?

- Tires? I want really tough tires so I am not stressing about punctures. The factory tires alreay have at least 1 plug in each tire. That leads me to: Plug Kit? Where can I get a plug kit?

- What are others getting for MPG? I got 10 miles per gallon before it went into the shop. I haven't filled up after this 2nd trip yet.

- What else?

Thanks everyone!
Ron

Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good deal, glad you got it working all right now. As for the quickness a pipe would be the best way to go. HMF will fix you up nicely. But the cheapest would be a clutch kit or a filter. For the bars, mine are FLY. Don't know what bend they are, just bought them though a ATV shop. I do like them but they get a bit close to the gas tank when turned all the way. For the wheels I think ITP makes aluminum beadlocks now. I wouldn't go with steel, just weights too much and they are not much cheaper than aluminum. Don't know about tires, I have Dirt Deveil XT's and don't care for them in the mud. Everything else they are ok. A buddy of mine has Gators and I am very impressed with them, they dig like crazy. Don't have any clue on fuel milage, I just drive it.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Good to hear you got all the bugs worked out!
top end. the griz is limited, so top end is restricted to 68 mph, no matter what you do other than a new cdi box.
first mod i would do is simple, tires. no sence putting more power onto a machine that handles like crap with them stock dunflops, lol. stay with an aluminum tire, for weight. weight matters, and tires are alot of it. itp makes an aluminum rim that weights only 9 lbs each. great tire, with an ausome bead lock protector built into them. if you do alot of mud riding, go with a mud tire like titan 589 mt, maybe 26 or 27 inch. any larger, and a clutch kit is needed. if you ride mainly trail, stay with a great trail tire, and with the offset itp rims, you'll power slide any corner you want. i would stay with 25 inch if you go mainly trail tire, so you loose no takeoff.
as for power. chances your running rich like all other grizzly's are. whats your elevation?
you can install a hmf pipe, if you want it loud, and i do mean LOUD! for the most part, you can do the muffler mod, witch i love the sound of, and throw on a k&n filter without having to jet. of corse do a few plug chops to make sure. this little mod will add a few horsepower to the griz, and leave you wheeling at takeoff without any effort.
i put on a suppertrapp idsx pipe, a k&n filter, and a 155 main jet, needle on the 4th clip. this, once dialed in, added around a real world 3 or 4 hp.
the biggest thing i did was tires though. an itp rim and tire setup with offset rims makes a huge differance. adds 4 inchs to width, and tires dont fold.
good luck, and p.m. me if you want more info.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree about everything that mich660griz said. I really hate those stock dungflops. I had a epi stock tires clutch kit installed and am happy with the results. It will wheelie from a dead stop in high gear without any help at all. I am running 12 Uni vents in my airbox lid and so my main jet is a 175dj. I am running the needle on the dyno jet recommended position. I will be getting the CDI box from Procom soon and then I will install lighter clutch weights so I can easily use the 1000rpm increase. My top end will be about the same, but I will get there alot quicker. I don't hit the rev limiter right now. It tops out at around 66 mph and flickers 67. If I install the clutch weights without the CDI, I will hit the rev limiter at a slower top speed, but have more torque. I want to raise the rev limiter and then install the lighter clutch weights. That way I have a slightly lower gear ratio from front sheave to rear at any given rpm, but more RPM to use. I think that it will really explode off the line.
Brute Force look out!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

on my 03' I find I have to rock the machine back and forth when the lever is in the park position, and than the light will go on. As for it not stand up at all. I have that same problem, I always figured that it was from the winch I have in the front, since then I just keep putting more power to it in hope it will raise up to the occassion. I don't know the convertion from kph to mph but I'm topping out around 131kph with minor up grades. I will search around for some more answers for you..wbl

Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I am able to wheelie if I am going up hill and hit a small bump or berm. The front end comes up really quick so I've got to be careful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I can't wheelie on flat ground but then again I don't need to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Does anyone know how many miles per gallon their Grizzly is getting?

I'm still averaging 10 MPG no matter what type of riding I do. I think that is way too low. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I start stressing when the odometer shows 45-50 miles and I am way out in the woods.

I bought 2 spare gas cans and I plan to go riding this weekend. I'm going to ride until I have to put it on reserve so I can see just how many miles I can go before I might have to push her home. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

- Ron

Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

First off. MPG....I don't know if 10MPG is adequate. But I don't have hard numbers to argue it.
It could be that you're riding in the soupy mud or whatnot, and using alot of fuel, but 10MPG seems low. More on that later.

Wheelies:

If you put a pipe and a K&N or other Air Filter on it, you'll be blown away at the newfound throttle response and wheelies. It will make a huge difference, especially once you add tires/wheels (which WILL slow it down significantly). You don't have to do the pipe if you don't want. There's a well documented procedure for drilling out the stock pipe which will wake up the low end too. It's cheaper to do, but not as much power as the HMF or other pipes. Your call, but I did both and much prefer the aftermarket pipe.
You will of course have to rejet. Take a piece of advice. Buy every power mod your going to add at once and install it all at once. That way you only have to rejet one time. Rejetting properly is a pain to do, but is necessary to get the best power and fuel efficiency. If you buy a pipe, rejet, and then later add a air filter, you'll have to rejet again. Trust me on this one.

Tires:

I also have Dirt Devil XT's 27" on ITP C Series Type 6 (4 spoke polished alum). BY FAR AND AWAY THE BEST ACCESSORY I PUT ON MY GRIZZLY...AND THE LIST IS LONG.....
You don't have to get Dirt Devils (and I happen to think they rock in the mud too, but that's my opinion), but do some research. What type of riding you want to do will determine the tires. Most everyone will tell your their tires are the best, but you have to buy based on your riding. I chose the DD's because I'm mostly trail, but cannot ignore mudholes when they appear (or when I go looking for em[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
They wear great, aren't rough on the hardpack trail, and bite incredibly great in loose or sloppy stuff. They're not bad in the sand either.
They are heavy. you will be able to feel the difference once you put a set of tires on (any tire, for that matter). It's worth it though. It's like night at day.
If you go larger than 27" tires, you'll probably want a clutch kit to regain some of your lost power. With my current setup, I'm fine without it, but I have gotten into holes so nasty I couldn't turn the tires in reverse. Something you may want to consider....ask around.

If you're gonna carry gas, there are alot of options. I personally chose the Trapper Trunk from Moose. I like it because it's made to carry 2 gas cans, and it will hold other stuff like tools, winch accessories, etc. Its NOT waterproof, but pretty good at keeping it all out.
Look here: Moose Trapper

Good Luck!!! And congrat on your Grizzly. I love mine.

PS - I've tested my Grizzly on a gravel road (basically) to see how far I could get on reserve. I got 12 miles, and probably could have gone another 4-5, but I was at the gas station by then. I don't recommend doing it though. When I tested it, I sucked the sediment that floats around in the bottom of the tank into my carb and spent the next day cleaning my carb up. You should consider installing a inline fuel filter. I bought mine at a lawn mower shop. It was a clear inline filter for a 5 HP Briggs and STratton motor.

Quick Reply: Just bought 2003 Grizzly... I have a few questions.