Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Front Air Duct

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Front Air Duct

Does anyone know to where the front air duct vents. It runs from under the "hood" to the engine assembly. It does not appear to vent the primary and secondary assemblies. It appears to enter the engine assembly right above the front drivetrain.

I am asking because I went mudding and some water/mud got in the v belt case and rear vent shaft as well as this shaft.

Thanks
Matt

Old 12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, that should be it. There should be a rubber plug and drain at the bend, near the bottom of the tube.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Where in the engine does this vent tube run?

Oh and btw, the drain plug was overfilled with mud and there was at least an inch of mud/water in the tube.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

the air duct under the front rack runs to what looks like the front of the engine but its the intake snorkel for the tranny...under the rear rack is the tranny exhaust air duct...i filled my tranny up with water and drained it and let it dry for awhile and it's ok now...but it's advised that when you do fill the tranny you should take the tranny apart and regrease the rollers in the sheaves in case any mud got stuck in there...if you can't do that then take it to a dealer...

Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, that seems to be it. I started taking apart the primary and cleaning the parts. I'll clean and regrease the pulley weights on the primary because they were a little dirty...just to be safe.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I found this diagram of the duct work,
yami grizz
It shows the different clamps and joints and drains.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a new 2004 Yamaha Grizzley 660. I just took it our the other day to do some riding. After going thru the first mudd hole which was about 1.5' my grizzley started slipping and would not run properly. After looking at it I discovered a plug just above the foot rest. After removing the plug hot water began pouring out. It started to operate a little better. I took it back to the dealer. They assesed the atv and told me the clutch had gone up because water had gotton in the front vent tube and mudd. He then told me this was not covered under warranty and it was going to cost $1200 to fix. The atv was never in water deep enough to get mudd sucked into the vent tube. Could there be something else that caused this. My friends went thru the same hole several times and had no problems. Help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

That dealer is an *sshole. Never go there ever again. If you did swamp the tranny, the water had to get in somehow. I would check all the connections where it goes into the tranny case and see if one of them is loose. How fast did you hit the water? I go into water up to the bottom of the gas tank cover and have never had my belt slip once. Getting water into the tranny won't affect the wet clutch at all. It would just get garbage into the clutch weights and limit there travel, which would limit your top speed. I would clean it out really good and regrease the weights. I haven't done this myself yet because I haven't swamped it yet. You may have smoked your belt and the *sshole dealer is trying to tell you that it is the wet clutch that is ruined. I had a new clutch kit installed for $100 plus the kit. I can't remember what an EPI kit cost. Under $300. A new belt would cost around $100. There is no way that it could cost $1200. If you get a chance, maybe take some video of you kicking that *sshole in the butt and telling him where to go.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I started taking the primary apart and it was a little dirty inside...there was some mud stuck in the sliding primary cover. I am having a problem taking the primary and secondary assemblies off of the drive shafts. The bolts seem to be way overtorqued. This was probably done when assembled. Does anyone know the best way to get the bolts off of the drive shaft. The Grizz manual says to get a primary sheave holder, I substituted one of those Craftsman rubber wrap wrench but I can't get enough torque to get it off. I even tried an impact wrench with 400ft/lb capability and no luck...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

I did mine today, and I was able to use a impact wrench to get the nut off. Couple of slow hits and it came off for me. The dirt was packed tight around the primary, At first it didn't even look like dirt. Got it all out and works great now. Make sure you don't get any grease on the pulleys or belt are you will reget it. I used simple green and a rag to wipe the pulleys and belt clean to make sure. Pulls hard now all the way to 67mph......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Grizzly Front Air Duct