Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Thanks guys..SandmanBlue- congrats on your 2000 posts.. and thanks for the information, it was helpful..

Master- I asked myself and I ended up being a 4-stroke man! I love the sound of 2-stroke and the powerband but there are no dunes around me.. i love wheelieing.. and hitting them jumps. LOL.

Now its a decision to get a YFZ or Rappy again.. IM not positive what i want.. What are the main differences between the 2 either than a YFZ has more power low end?

Old 12-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I think I can help here....

My Buddy that ran his raptor into the ground in the previous post bought a new YFZ.

The YFZ is better than the Raptor in all aspects of performance, handling and design. The only performance complaint from my buddy is top end (60+) He says it raps to high. He prefered the Raptor there.

The downside to the YFZ is low handlebar position, hard seat, stiff ride, high pegs, no reverse.

This is how you decide:

If you are under 35, you will be happier with the yfz.

If over, you will appreciate the comfort and reverse of the Raptor. (And, you will have more money to set it up how you like it)

....IMO

Old 12-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm.. Ive done a lot of research on the raptor and i've been in the engine so many times i dont think i can count that high! lol.. Working on the raptor is so easy because there are so many sites that explain every little step you can think of.. take raptortranny.com for instance. That is why i like raptors..The idea of a YFZ came to me because its quick low end and a lot of people like it. It can have a kick-start option too! Its light.. and other things.. I'm 6' tall and about 155-160 lbs One thing that i took into consideration was the size of the YFZ.. Will i be too big for it?
-- THe seat.. i know from other people that its hard.. When i ride i ride for 6+ hours One after another... I want to be comfortable u know what i mean? Are there after-market soft seats? LOL (dont call me a whimp lol)

As for top end proformance if i do cams and piston work will it run faster than a piped and jetted raptor? (top end)

The YFZ is light from what i hear 350 LBS?? thats deffinately a PLUS!!!!

Old 12-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I am 6'0" 200 lb and I thought that the YFZ was a bit small for me. But I know 6'4 guys that think it fits them great. You'll have to take one for a spin and see.

You can get aftermarket seats, handle bar lifts, etc.

It is tough for the Raptor to beat even the slightly modded YFZ. My 686 Rap barely pulls my buddies stock YFZ. I have trouble beating piped YFZ's on comp hill. (It probably the rider) They are light and fast little screamers. You may not want to do anything except a K&N, Pipe, and jets.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your 686 raptor barely takes a stock YFZ, maybe you shoulod take the governer off it. yFZ's are over rated. in all honesty, i'm not talking o0ut my rear or anythimg, a banshee would kill one. hell, i've seen stock raptors kill TRX450's and YFZ 450, and no one riding was inexperienced.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheOwner
If your 686 raptor barely takes a stock YFZ, maybe you shoulod take the governer off it. yFZ's are over rated. in all honesty, i'm not talking o0ut my rear or anythimg, a banshee would kill one. hell, i've seen stock raptors kill TRX450's and YFZ 450, and no one riding was inexperienced.
omg... another idiotic post. YFZs ARE quick. and no you didnt see any quad KILL any other. the 450's dont kill rappys, they may win, but its not a blow-out. and wtf are you talking about taking the governor off it....

Old 12-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

There arn't governers on quads..

Should i ask myself this? What makes me want a YFZ.. Is it easier to have fun on and wheelie.. are the yfz's more reliable? I would assume that the clutch on a yfz is easier to change than a raptor?

Old 12-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

If you have been to comp hills at any of the dunes, you will notice the YFZs dominating. You will see a Raptor, a DS650, a predetor, a Banshee and even an ATC take 'em every now and then during a 2 hour period hangn' out. But, in general, the YFZs are the king of the quads right now.

I don't think anyone can disagree with the above statement.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
There arn't governers on quads..

Should i ask myself this? What makes me want a YFZ.. Is it easier to have fun on and wheelie.. are the yfz's more reliable? I would assume that the clutch on a yfz is easier to change than a raptor?

If you ride one, you'll buy one.

I found them much easier to work on than a raptor. They gave some thought to the layout.

However, the front end isn't quite as light as a Raptors. No problem wheelieing though.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

are +2 a-arms and axle and shocks a big improvement in the yfz?

Other than Pipe. jet. and filter.

FOr random people what comes first of the above 2

Quick Reply: I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??