Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Hey guys.. I bought a used raptor about a year ago.. since then the starter has gone bad, the clutch failed 3 times now it works perfect, and today found out that the frame was bent. Not a lot but slightly. Well i like to maintain my stuff as good as i can and i guess this "used" raptor isn't working out for me. The transmission is in perfect shape for an 01' yet who knows when thats going to blow. I love this quad because it proforms great and the power is amazing!!! I want to sell it to either go for a new raptor or banshee. Now i know that its the hardest decision in the world because there two totally different things but my question to you guys is.. Ive heard that the banshee was un-reliable?? like top end blows out or somthing? Is that going to be the same as my raptor problems becuase im sick of having to deal with problems! i want to be able to go out ride for half hour, clean it, and park it. for about 20 - 30 ish hours i dont want it to have probs. how long does the banshee need to be Oil changed, head replaced, any other things?

Now.. New banshee or used with pipe.. stuff lik that

or

New raptor or used with pipe/jets, stuff like that?

THanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The banshee is not unreliable, people who build them up and mod them without doing it right or even knowing what they are doing are unreliable. I know of many banshees running over 2-3 years with the same pistons and rings and good compression even with a lot of ride time.

My raptor has been very reliable with no starter, clutch, transmission, or any other problems. My only issues came when I botched a piston and cam install.

Personally I think both are rather reliable, especially for the power they output. The starters seem to still be an issue on the raptor, and crank bearings in high compression big bores. But these are not a given, some people have no issues with either.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Is a banshee a pain in the buttt mixing the gas and different oil and stuff like that? how does it proform in the cold?

Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Doesnt sound like a Banshee is for you ... mixing the fuel, plugs fowling, etc. ... sweet machines and the funsest bike I have ever rode .... yeah know, those endless and effortless doughnuts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. A four stroke requires the least attention but when they do break it typically seems to cost more to repair. With the vendors and everyone trying to squeeze out the most power possible from these engines (even stock) they simply are going to require maintenance when rode hard. My .02

Old 12-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Is a banshee a pain in the buttt mixing the gas and different oil and stuff like that? how does it proform in the cold?
If mixing gas is going to be something you are concerned about then just go get a raptor.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
The banshee is not unreliable, people who build them up and mod them without doing it right or even knowing what they are doing are unreliable. I know of many banshees running over 2-3 years with the same pistons and rings and good compression even with a lot of ride time.

My raptor has been very reliable with no starter, clutch, transmission, or any other problems. My only issues came when I botched a piston and cam install.

Personally I think both are rather reliable, especially for the power they output. The starters seem to still be an issue on the raptor, and crank bearings in high compression big bores. But these are not a given, some people have no issues with either.
4-6 years i thank you... 2nd owners and used it for 3 years then top end went out. The cranks had to be replaced because the people before "rode it rough"

Old 12-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

How is the banshee for trail riding? Mixing gas is easy in know!!!

Old 12-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

banshee's are fast, fun but high maintenance. if you have the time and a place to work on them their great. but if your only trail riding I would stick with a 4 stroke. not a craptor. a 400ex is probably the most reliable.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

I've had my 04 Raptor for over a year now and have ridden it hard almost every day on trails and in sand and it has never had any problems whatsoever. You beat banshees on it stock and whoop them bas with exhast, jets, and K&N. The new ones don't seem to have any problems that the 01 had.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Banshees are an absolute blast to trail ride on. With the right pipe (I had FMF) they actually have a decent bottom end, but without a doubt they are a ball if the trails are the slightest bit open. Anyone that says they can spank a banshee in the woods on a 400ex,or 300, or 250, or z400 need to either point out that the banshee only had one plug wire connected or they need to get the gradeschooler off the banshee. Other than the fact that a banshee is a HORRIBLE motocrosser (without dumping thousands into it), the banshee is an incredible machine. I torchered (sp) mine but did a lot of maintainance (cleaning, greasing, etc) for 4 years until somebody else decided they needed it more than me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??