Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs piped/ported banshee

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, what an answer, of course a piped and ported banshee will run away from a stock raptor. a piped/ported banshee will pull over 80mph. Thats obvious if you have ever ridden one. You can launch a banshee in 2nd gear to get better starts in gravel, and why dont you believe that maybe I have the same traction problem in gravel. I jumped him hard due tho his lack of bottom end, overall i was spinning harder than he was and its just a problem both bikes suffer in gravel. I had no advantage due to gravel, I just have an instant low end throttle response. So can I please finish breaking in my raptor before you tell me i have to race on pavement. I feel I will jump him just as bad or worse on pavement so long as I can hold the wheels down. But yes overall he will run away from me. Its no big deal its just hes spent a few thousand in modifications. If I had been worried about speed on pavement I would have bought an R1 crotch rocket. No One spends any riding time cruising the highway on a banshee or whatever.

Old 09-13-2000, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you were worried about speed on pavement, why would you buy an R1? The busa and ZX 12 will both smoke the R1! I know know that's not the point you were trying to get across, but I couldn't resist

Old 09-13-2000, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

I want to get them ALL in the Oregon Dunes and see how they handle Water Plant Hill. The Sand is the great equalizer--and there the 'Shee is King.

Flyin' Ryan

Old 09-13-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

because I am in a YAMAHA Forum moron

Old 09-13-2000, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't give a $hit what forum you are in MORON! My point is that if you want to go fast on a crotch rocket, the Busa and the ZX 12 will both walk all over the R1. And about racing the Banshee vs the Raptor on a gravel surface, give me a break. A two strokes powerband goes from almost nothing to 100% in about the same amount of time it takes to flick a light switch. The 4 stroke has a lot more useable torque and horsepower down low to help modulate wheel spin. You may not want to race your quad on the pavement, but put them both out on a flat open field and race them so the Banshee at least has a chance to put a little bit of his power to the ground. Damn, racing on gravel....that's brilliant YaMaSpHiNcTer!

Old 09-13-2000, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

I kept telling that guy with the vette I could beat him in a race with my s-10. He didnt want to race. I know I can beat him. None of them sport cars wants to race across a plowed field.
My s-10 must be faster.

Old 09-14-2000, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

In 1998, Yamaha revealed the truly remarkable R1 to the world. This awesome motorcycle looked like nothing else in its class. And there were three vital statistics that confirmed that the R1 was indeed a very special motorcycle. Those figures back in '98 were 150hp, 390 lbs. and 1395mm, representing power output, weight and wheelbase. Nothing else in the class came even close to matching them. They amazed both the press and the motorcycling public. And the combination of high power, low weight and ultra-compact chassis dimensions signaled the beginning of an exciting new era in high-performance riding. The rest is history.

And on top of that no one cares for your input. I will race him in a field, but I can tell you this he will still bite the big one except top end, Ill let you know, hopefully we will have video of it to show you guys.

Old 09-14-2000, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

Racing on gravel is perfectly fair, because that is what most people ride on when they're not on traile. How many times do you ride down asphalt for any length of time (legaly, hehehe)? Following you're thought progression, we should be running drag slicks on wet grass, as long as we were fast when we hit the asphalt. Overall traction IS a factor in how fast a bike is.