Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Rims and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Rims and Tires

I was riding my wolverine in Pennsylvania at an adventure park. I was way out of the way from the car and the exit. While I was driving, every rock I hit felt so rough. So I look at the tire and it was flat. I was about 3 miles away from the trailer and the exit so I had no choice but to drive over rocks and mud pits (which bent my front rim) I am now thinking of buying a pair of 25-10-12 mudlites for the back and 25-8-12 for the front. I am wondering what rims I should buy because I go in alot of rocky terrian and I need strong rims.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Even in rocky terrain, you shouldn't have any problems with almost any rims unless you are running on a flat....the main thing to flats is to fix them on the trail...granted this isn't always possible if it is a bad cut, but most cases are punctures....I have a pump and plugs in my machine storage area at all times....

the Mud Lites are nice tires...I run in New Mexico and all we have is rocks....I haven't had any problem, but I have 3 sets of tires/wheels so haven't put enough miles on any one of them on my new machine to tell the difference....I have a '05 Polaris 700 EFI w/ 27" ITP Mud Lites on ITP Type 5C aluminum wheels....also have a set of 27" ITP 589's mounted on the same and the stock 26" Carlisle tires mounted on steel....

Here is a pic of the Mudlites compared to 589's...sorry the Mudlites are dirty in the pic...lol:

Mud Lites on right:

589's on left, Mud Lites on right

dave

Old 12-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

I've got Mudlites on the stock rims and haven't had any problem dinging the rims in rocks or rutted out trails with lots of roots. They're just as round and true as when I bought it and I thrash it pretty good through the trails. See pics.
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

Big,

From what I have read on "wheel protection" is that it is best to inflate the tire to maximum air pressure. I know you may run lower air pressure for rock climbing etc. The article I have seen is to inflate max air especialy when jumping for wheel protection I suppose handling is a differerent story. maybe find a happy medium. I also run slime in my tires to protect from flat. Low air pressure can also cause the tire to come off the wheel.

Go to www.douglaswheel.com and read some of the FAQ's/tech stuff. BTW take a look at the new 05' util 12x7 "rocstar".

Also i choose the mudlite's for my bear and will install after santa makes his drop at my house. Good luck on your decision.

I have not made up my decision on wheels yet. I'm leaning towards ITP type 6 at the moment.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a set of maxxis sur-traks in that size on my stock rims I should be finishing the install tomarrow!