Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 Low End Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 Low End Power

Hey Grizzly 660 owners

How is the low end power on these machines?

Also, are those bars on the front flimzy or are they pretty strong?

How tough is the winch installation?

I am looking into getting a 660 Jan 2005 and wasnt sure about these things.

Thanks~!

Old 12-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

the stck bumper is flimsy I tried to push a wolverine out and bent it. The winch instalion is easy it is just hard to put the wires in a good dry spot. the machine is ok, but i like the new kodiak alot more.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Does anyone know if the engine mods that are out there really improve the performance of this 4x4 any?

Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

the front bumper is ausome, as long as you dont actually use it, lol. it will do a good job for pushing, but it will bend doing it. so, if you dont mind dings, scrashes, and small creases in a bumper, than it will do its job.

low end power. it is real good on the grizzly. best tranny of them all, so that helps. it is becoming underpowered compared to the newer 800 poo's, and the 750 kow. that is not to say all the grunt you well ever need is not there, couse it is.

the wench took me about 1 1/2 hours, having never done one before. the directions are simple, its just running the wires. installing the wench itsself is simple.

the ride really is where the griz is ausome at. power is great, and can get up to 68 mph on flat road. the stock tires are not as good as they should be, so that is usually the first thing to replace. i would do that asap.
the width of the griz is small, and with irs, it can become a little tippy until you get used to it. a great thing to do is instantly install wheel spacers, or buy itp offset rims with the new tires you'll surly be ordering.

the griz is tough, but it need its lovin too. keep upon maintance, and learn the 4x4 system, and you'l love it.

the power mods for the griz that seem to work the best is a cam and piston. most just opt for a step below that with a pipe, k&n filter, and a jet kit. open up the box with a few unifilters, and take all the time needed to dial it in properly, and you'll gain about 3 to 5 hp. of corse, they offer a nos system for the griz with up to a 12 hp shot.

a new mod that seems to be making a few people happy is a new cdi box from procom. that adds 1000 rpm's to the bike, and we all know that means more power!

if you have snow in your region, the griz pushs it all day, easly, with a good plow.

the griz stands on top with the bf750, poo's 800, or 700, and su's 700.

personally, i love the griz, but would be just as happy with any of them irs machines.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

Hey
Thanks for all the information.
That helps me out a great deal in my decision process.

Thanks again!

JW

Old 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Do you like IRS better than SRA?

Old 12-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your going to wheel on rocks and stuff like that you really want to have the IRS.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

Hey BigBird,
How do you like your Grizz?

Have you had any major problems with it since you got it?

I really like these new Grizz machines.

I am most likely going to end up with one soon. They are nice looking and have a great smooth ride.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I LOVE my Grizzly. I test rode several different machines and when me and my buddys ride we swap machines. We all agree that my Grizzly is tha Caddy of the trails. The most comfortable ride I've been on. Most of the Polaris guys I ride with pick their butt's up off their seat to go over stuff.....Not on the Grizzly. I have a bad back and I can ride that thing for hours. I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh Yeah...PLenty of power and I've had mine up to 73mph on the road!!!

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 Low End Power