Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is the trick to pulling long wheelies???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the trick to pulling long wheelies???

Originally posted by: VelociRaptor350
I don't think it has anoything to do with the bike, you can wheelie anything, then its just the rider.
yep [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hell i ride a warrior and i can wheelie forever...

Old 12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

Do you guys use the clutch to shift while riding a wheelie or do you just pop it into gear? I find my rappy hard to shift while riding a wheelie, but I can do it no problem on my friends z400. My rappy also bogs down when riding those slow 1st gear wheelies. People say its the floats, but what the hell does that mean?

Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

floats are in the carb bowl, it works like a toilet float. When the fuel in the bowl starts to lower, it opens up this valve and lets more back in, if your up in a wheelie, those floats probably don't open so it starts to lack fuel and bogs.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a lot easier to use the clutch using only two fingers. That is how I learned.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
Originally posted by: VelociRaptor350
I don't think it has anoything to do with the bike, you can wheelie anything, then its just the rider.
yep [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hell i ride a warrior and i can wheelie forever...
No kidding. I ride a Grizzly and I can wheelie that thing for days.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Like these guys said, practice. One thing that might help keep them up longer is popping the clutch at a really low rpm. If you are to high on the revs when you pop it up you will need to shift sooner or let it down. my favorite is in third gear, low rpm. pull in clutch, alot of gas and drop it. when it feels weightless (probably uncomfortable at first) touch the rear brake while still on the gas to keep from going over. Once you get the hang of this you can ride the wheelie without gaining very much speed in the process, and that is the key to riding long wheelies.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

When i shift into second i use the clutch...that is as far as i have gotten. I actually did my first shifting wheelie. I have only been able to do them in first. I can go really far.. i just tap the gas ever once and awhile and i go. I was so mad...i tried 2 times shiffting while doing a wheelie. The first time it came right down. The second time i got it into second and got about 10 feet and my grab bar hit the ground and i went spinning. Did a 180 on my back two wheels. I then let go and it stood up on its back two tires and then fell to the side....right on my leg.

Normally when i do a wheelie and my grab bar hits i just stand up on my back tires. Well, on this day that wasnt always the case. The first time i stood it up it stayed. The second time it did a 180 on one wheel...and the last time was when it fell on my leg. My friend just thought it was because i was getting on one wheel. I thought it was because the ground wasnt level. But after the last stand up i realized my tire pressure wasnt the same. Now, i am getting in the habit of checking my tire pressure every time i ride. Which is probably what i should have been doing since the begining.

Good luck with your wheelies.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: motox26
It is a lot easier to use the clutch using only two fingers. That is how I learned.
I agree it is much easier with two fingers on the clutch. That is how I taught myself.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Practice is the most important.....there really isn't a "trick" to it. Just gotta stay at the balance point.....being smooth with the controls (gas, brake & clutch) is the key to that. Typically all you need to do is worry about throttle control for standard wheelies.

-Josh

Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

i just got them down prtty good today. i started of sitting really far back on the seat adn i could ride fora fairly good distance but i have better luck with sitting between 1/2 way and 3/4 of the way back on the seet and dumping the clutch in 2nd, while rolling a lil bit. first pracktice by standing on the grab bar with one or 2 feet. just mess around iwthit and ull fine whats best for you. wear a helmet and a jacket so if u fall u wont get hurt.... the less you worry about fallin off the better ull do. good luck and i hope this helps

Quick Reply: What is the trick to pulling long wheelies???