Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

440ex vs Raptor!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go on record right now as saying: It will probably take a fully modded 440 engine to beat a Raptor in a drag race through 5 gears. If you are the owner of a 440 with an IMS big bore and a pipe,[and that's it] you are in big trouble.
My engine has about $4000 worth of extra beef and it is 2 or 3 bike lengths ahead of the "average" piped Banshee thru 5th gear. On a track a Banshee could'nt touch my EX. I am sure my bike is faster than a Raptor; for now. The aftermarket will find out how to make them faster rather quickly. It will be expensive but effective. Regardless, the Raptor embodies what is now and probably will be for all time , the ceiling for the big bore sport/hi-performance quads. Single cylinder engines don't come any bigger than the "650 class" and Yamaha is to be applauded for making such a segment-buster.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

You apparently have not rode a Raptor yet. I been riding mine and today afterwards I jumped on my 400ex...there's no comparison. The Raptor is very very smooth and it handles better than a 400ex. Trust me. I was in love with my 400ex until I rode my Raptor.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

obviously you havent ridden one. this thing will fly through the air and has good power. the aftermarket framed 250 rs will be faster for now, but when you throw your leg over one you will understand. the suspension is top notch and if it was modified for a track it would have no problems blowing by a 400-440 ex, get it. OK who cares if you complain about the 220 ccs people, Ever heard the word FX400, thats right it will be here by spring and once again your going to say my blah blah race ex is faster or handles better. Well it is being designed totally for MX use so what now? just admit like everyone knows stock for stock a raptor is a better quad than 400ex. just go to hondas web site i looked at the technology and all they show is an aircooled dry sump engine. BIG DEAL. Edgy No, Overly pleased YES. Think banshee power with handling and suspension better than a 400ex. OK thats all im saying.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

What do you mean it is like a DS on the Track. It is nothing like the DS, except for the fact that it has a motor and four wheels. I guarantee this thing will do great on the track. This is a 100 times better than a stock 400ex. Why don't you 400ex guys just face it, honda did not build the perfect quad, 28HP stock is pathetic. Who cares if a 440 has 45HP do you know how hot those things run. I am not saying the Raptor is perfect either, but it is more capable right out of the box. Two of my friends have over $12000 in there 400ex's. My 660 in a mild state of tune puts out easily the same HP and is way more reliable, i paid $6800, i could buy a Roll design Lobo II front end with axis shocks and still have less money in my quad than they have theirs. Just face it honda is behind the times, but they might suprise everybody with a 650ex. In 3 days we will find out, when they announce the new models.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

I am obviously aware that a stock 400ex is puney. i know it takes a well modded 400ex to take a raptor in a drag. But I don't think that a raptor has a chance on a track w/ 50-85ft. tripples has a chance against a 440 racer and it definately has no chance what so ever against a 250r(best mx out there) banshees have tried and proved to weigh too much and so will the raptors. And they may have nice stock suspension but it's not half as good as TCS or ZPS.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:49 AM
LDJ
Pro Rider

The reason your suspension feels so good is because it is a brand new Quad, that is the only reason. I feel sorry for the Raptor owners when they tip over all the time due to the way it sits so tall. But, I guess the aftermarket will sell a lot of wider a-arms and axles. Not to completely bash the Raptor but, I just think they came out with it too Quickly,they wanted to keep up with the DS. Yamaha did the same thing when they threw together the Grizzly to compete with the sportsman, the grizz sucks compared to the sportsman.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:58 AM
LDJ
Pro Rider

I agree it is more capable out of the box than any other Quad. But, who keeps there Quad stock. I sat on a Raptor at my Dealer they feel great, but they sit high and for MX,it will have some problems. Also, anybody who wants to race MX, more power to them, the Raptor isn't designed for it, it is more of a woodsy Quad.

Old 09-12-2000, 01:42 AM
Range Rover

being a big yamaha fan myself. I am pretty disapointed in what I am hearing so far. They say the raptor 2 gear is to tall for hill shooting. They say the 400 can take it on an uphill race. Let me know what really happens.

Old 09-12-2000, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

So what about a raptor with axis or tcs, then what are you going to say? I know for a fact already one amateur rider has had one given to him to set up for racing, when the parts are available in about a month or two what happens then? You still think its gonna happen, and Given the 650ex thing happens you think it will be as light as a 400ex, I dont see how? Why arent racers currently cramming 250R engines in these 400ex frames if they are the way to go? You seem to have some questions you cant answer without riding one. I have tried to get it tippy and it just doesnt happen, why because the A-arms are long, they dont have to be as wide if the frame is narrow. This is the lightest quad in the air I have seen in 15 years, but Of course now anyways MX is kind of lame in the ATV sector, the GNCC is tearing it up. I wonder how many riders their drop their 400excuses for a raptor?

Old 09-12-2000, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

After reading all this, I see a bunch of 400EX owners that are groping for reasons to make themselves believe that their bikes are somehow still superior. So sorry, I don't buy it! The Raptor's chassis and suspension has proven better, and face it guys, there IS NO SUBSTITUTE for cc's! Who wants to take a pathetic stock 28hp 400EX motor and turn it into a hand grenade? Is there that many people out there that enjoy sacrificing all their reliability? Face it Honda boys, your former pride and joy has been major-league one-upped! I predict many Honda people will be shocked to see MX prepped Raptors kicking some butt cheeks very soon! I can hardly wait, because it's about time.

Quick Reply: 440ex vs Raptor!!