Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping

is the pilet screw the same as the air mixture screw? and if so dosn't that just addjust the idle mixture ? wouldent you need to change the pilet jet to get rid of the poping? just trying to under stand all i can thanx vincent

Old 01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: toy4rox
is the pilet screw the same as the air mixture screw? and if so dosn't that just addjust the idle mixture ? wouldent you need to change the pilet jet to get rid of the poping? just trying to under stand all i can thanx vincent
yes, they are the same

changing the pilot jet is different

assuming you have the right size pilot,,,,the screw is for fine tuning the idle circuit

If you go past about 3 turns out on the pilot screw,,,,,then you need to up the pilot jet

Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Bing
Originally posted by: toy4rox
yes, they are the same

changing the pilot jet is different

assuming you have the right size pilot,,,,the screw is for fine tuning the idle circuit

If you go past about 3 turns out on the pilot screw,,,,,then you need to up the pilot jet
thanx thats what i thought.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

yea i have the same thing. i heara popping sound when letting off the trottle. I have a White brothers E series pipe and a jet kit. Do u find it hard to start ur raptor in cold weather? im wondering if its just the jet kit or that something else is wrong

Old 01-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

I dont really find it hard to start in "cold" weather ... I am in Phoenix, Arizona so 50 degrees is freakin cold right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ... I also burn off all gas out of carbs after each ride, shake the quad after tuning back on the gas to startup for next ride, go full choke, and it pretty much fires up immediately with a push of the throttle.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: bk8800
yea i have the same thing. i heara popping sound when letting off the trottle. I have a White brothers E series pipe and a jet kit. Do u find it hard to start ur raptor in cold weather? im wondering if its just the jet kit or that something else is wrong
you are lean on the pilot screw

turn them out 1/4 turn until you get er dialed in

Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

I just ordered a 'Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool' from MotionPro. towards the bottom of the page It will make things way easier.
Bing, does that tool WORK???????........Just wondering if it does.........might have to get one!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bigdaddy660R
I just ordered a 'Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool' from MotionPro. towards the bottom of the page It will make things way easier.
Bing, does that tool WORK???????........Just wondering if it does.........might have to get one!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
it worked for the guy that was tuning my bike at the dealer when i bought it

I think that tool should come with the bike

I'll let you know how I like it,,,,,Its suppose to be here monday

Old 01-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

But wheres the fun? Come on its fun to have to squeeze your hand in there between a pipe and the head while the motor is running with a tiny screwdriver attepmting to turn the screw and keep count of how many turns before you burn your hand and then loose count and try it all over again............................................. .......i think im buying that tool, thanks for the link

Old 01-09-2005, 01:15 AM
V
Trailblazer

I think I missed something. What kind of quad do you have? I bought an easy adjust fuel screw for my yfz450 and it works great. It extends past the bottom of the carb so it can be easily tuned without taking anything apart. I'd see if there's something like that for your quad.

Quick Reply: Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping