Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee, Raptor, why !

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 11:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why everybody is raving over Banshee and Raptor competition. They are two completely different machines, different engines, different gearing, different torque, different powerbands, different suspension, different rider ergonomics, etc.... I am not trying to slam anyone here, I am just pointing out that they were designed for two different types of riders and classes.
On the track, the Raptor will not have the instant high-revving explosive power for the holeshots, hairpin turns and short approach jumps that the Banshee has. On the other hand in a multi-terrain environment with rock, mud, small trees, hills, sand, moguled or pitted terrain, and long top end straight-aways, the Raptor would eat it up due it's more broad and constant power band and superior suspension.
It's simple 2 stroke v.s. 4 stroke you can't compare the two. Unless you want to bore the Raptor out to about an 800 and then add a small nitro kit. Then it would probably hang neck-neck where ever a banshee went. It's hard to beat two-stroke performance with a 4 stroke engine and not be broke. Look at snowmobiles for instance, take the banshees 350 liquid twin and a 440 liquid twin. The 440 can do 100 mph right freeking now. You would have to somehow stuff a Harley v-twin under the hood if you wanted the same performance in a 4 stroke.
Anyhow, there is no point in arguing about which one goes faster or does better wheelies or can jump higher. The only thing similar about these machines is that they have four wheels and are "sport" machines. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, I just saying enjoy your machine and understand what it was made for and respect that!

Old 09-12-2000, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

You are totally right, comparing the Banshee to the Raptor or vice versa is like comparing a 10-Speed to a Mountain Bike.

If anything Banshee owners should be totally happy, because now Banshees sell for less money because the Raptor is out and it is the newest Sport/Performance quad from Yamaha.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Glamis!

Old 09-12-2000, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I think a lot of the reason for the comparisons is that the Banshee is a benchmark. It is a known quantity to which compare to... Everybody knows what the Banshee is capable of so comparing the speed of a Banshee to that of a Raptor, for example lets me know a lot about the Raptor without actually riding or seeing one perform.

True though, they are 2 totaly different quads. I want one of each!!!

Old 09-12-2000, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks WyoRider!

That is a very good point! They may go just as fast or fly just as nice but how they get there are two different tasks!

I wish they would quit screwing around and just bring a new animal into the picture. If I get a 650cc, I want it to be a 2-stroke twin!!!!!!!
It would be nice to have a machine that I was truly terrified of riding!!!!!

Old 09-12-2000, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

actually the engine the raptor is based on was capable of 110mph in the offroad motorcycle, Its just the difference in gearing that changes this due to the wheel size.

Old 09-12-2000, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Be sure to read my thread about the top speed testing of the Raptor. Very interesting results.

Old 09-13-2000, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

That is pretty odd. I say Screw safety, gear it down a little and straighten out 4th and 5th gear and unleash the beast!!