Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine gear oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wolverine gear oil problem

Hmmmmm. I rebuilt my diff with new seals and bearings, new axle bearings and seals and routed the vent tube up under the bars. I STILL get water in the diff. Sigh.

My only thought is that water may be passing through the area where the diff bolts to the swingarm. I tried to seal this area carefully during the rebuild.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya Lotus, I did the same thing to mine (rebuilt). You would think if water gets in, the oil could also get out.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dang Lotus, I hadn't even thought about that. Never had it off before to even consider the leak possibilities... So, I stand corrected... Ganz and hotrod, there is the third possibility. lol

Guess I'll have to look into this while it's apart for the 446 treatment.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

Let us know what you find 95W. I'm getting sick of changing the oil after every ride. I had the same thought as Lotus.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Range Rover

Like 95, I have mine apart for the FST treatment and looked over the swingarm / rear diff last evening. Definitely didn't like what I found when I pulled the axle.

My right bearing is worn like crazy, which has worn the seal as well. I found a watery, muddy, rusted mess inside the swingarm and ring gear splines. I didn't have time to dig into the diff.

A couple of questions:
1) Any way around the special Yamaha socket to remove the big pinion nut on the diff?

2) Does anyone sell a rear diff gasket kit or did you order everything separately?

3) Bearings...can you order from somewhere besides Yamaha

Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

ur breather tube is froze up, or or just pluged if its warm out

Old 01-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

I love the internet. . .

So this must be the problem I'm having as this past weekend while plowing I noticed the intake box drain hole plug was filled with red oil. I emptied it and opened up the box and there was oil settled at the bottom of the tray. Probably all in all about three tablespoons full.

At first I thought it was the foam intake oil (like K&N oil) cause it was red, but if diff oil red too?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, some differential oils are red.

TDRango...I got the bearing and seal kit for my rearend from rockymountainatv.com

It was a Pivot Works kit. Here are the part #'s from Rockymntatv...

Wolverine (95) 49-01380
Wolveirne (96-01) 49-01381
Wolverine (02) 49-01421

I've never seen a gasket kit for the rear pumpkin. Looking at the parts breakdown, it's simply seals and O-rings.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 95Wolverine
Yes, some differential oils are red.

TDRango...I got the bearing and seal kit for my rearend from rockymountainatv.com

It was a Pivot Works kit. Here are the part #'s from Rockymntatv...

Wolverine (95) 49-01380
Wolveirne (96-01) 49-01381
Wolverine (02) 49-01421

I've never seen a gasket kit for the rear pumpkin. Looking at the parts breakdown, it's simply seals and O-rings.

95, do you remember if the stock gear oil Yamaha uses is red? I haven't changed it yet and I'm trying to decide if what i see is air filter oil or diff oil. It doesn't smell stange, and some have said the gear oil has a distinct smell??

Old 01-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, dunno on the factory gear oil being red or not. Think about this, the differential breather tube stops right beside the airbox snorkel. So, unless you are an amazing trick rider, capable of riding on the right two wheels and get the oil to overflow and drip directly into the snorkel, I think it's likely air filter oil. lol.. just kidding around with ya.

I'll bet it's air filter oil. I wash mine, let it dry, then oil it and let it sit overnight on it's end on a stack of paper towels. This way, all the extra oil (if any) will run off and I'll get to see how much I overoiled it if I did.

Word up on the differential bearing/seal kit. I don't know if they carry them for the wolverine or not, but this site has rebuild kits. Just scroll down a ways and it's on the left.

Differential Rebuild Kits

Quick Reply: wolverine gear oil problem