Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster not starting

my blaster has problems starting.It takes alot of kicks in order for it start and when it finally does it stalls out or when i put it into gear it will stall out. Today i got it started for a half hour and rode but when i tryed starting it as soon as i got back home it wouldnt.. does anyone know what could be wrong?

Old 01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

here is a few thing's you may wanna try 1. Even though it sound's retarded make sure you have your gas on. 2. Has it been a long time since you ran the bike?..If so you may wanna drain your gas and put some fresh gas in. (3). Check the plug make sure it is still in good shape also make sure the plug wire is firmly on the plug . 4. Climate-since it is turned winter and the tempature has changed(dropped) you have to rejet. (i know this sound's crazy but it is factual) 5. Also if it has been a while check the filter make sure it isn't clogged with a bunch of crap(this is most likely not the problem but is worth checking). hope that help's

letha(--)face

Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

the gas is on...I've already put new gas in and drained the old..i checked the plug and when it came out it was wet with what looked like oil on it ...as for jetting i will ask my friend if he could reject my bike because i think thats the only thing left....also i forgot to mention that my bike sometimes revs by itself and earlier today it revved by itself and wouldnt shut off until i had to let the clutch go and stall it out so i really have no idea whats going on?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

The revving could be a couple of thing's most likely a air leak somewhere..make sure that your carb boot is on tight and that your intake boot is tight as well...If your engine get's to hot it will rev by itself with the kill switch off. this is becuase the engine will get a hot spot that is hot enough to ignite the gas without having to use the spark. If i was you i would not try to start it again. Even though it sks to not be able to ride it for a while it will probably save you the price of a top-end..if you can not find a air leak take it to someone who can fix it for you

Old 01-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like either a Air leek or a jetting problem or a combination of both, tighten all the bolts on the engine, expeccially by the Carb and the reeds, check the carb boots and that their tight. if that doesnt work, check your compression, low compression usually causes oil to foul the plug, get a new plug thogh, just to be safe. it might just need a top-end rebuild.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Don't just go tightening up the cylinder and head bolts as tight as you can get them. You'd be much worse off if you did. Tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, head bolts 20 ft/lbs, cylinder nuts 18 ft/lbs

Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm still new to quads so can anyone tell me which jets to get or am i better off getting a jet "kit" and also im getting a new spark plug is there anything els ei should try

Old 01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

the stock jet is a 230 in colder weather go up 10 so get a 240.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

do i need anything else besides a 240 main jet?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

thats about it but i would run a tank of premium through it if you havent been....

Quick Reply: blaster not starting