Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

For the past 2 months I have been designing, measuring, drawing, and brainstorming. I finally got it done and it is MX worthy. Check out the pics. I lowered the front about 4 inches. All I did was raise the mounting point of the shocks. I may have went a little too much because when my shocks bottom the frame just about hits the ground. This can be fixed by either larger front tires, I have 19" holeshots or I can get longtravel shocks and it should fix it. The rear was lowered by extended swingarm linkage. Did a few test rides around the hood and man it rails around the corners without a hint of tippiness. The track test will be next week. Anyone wanting to do something similar to this let me know I'll tell you everything I did. Thanks to CED for the welding, wouldn't have been possible without him. peeeice

Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

nice job man

Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

What kind of sheet metal did you use for them top mounts and where did you get it?

Can you put up some more detailed pictures maybe of a top view so i can see how it was welded? it looks great man must be an excelent ride now!

Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

That looks really nice. Good job. It looks like you'll be able to Switch it back to the stock mounts easily too.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thats awsome man. Im going to be lowering my blasty with a linkage design real doon.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Rem
Pro Rider

i hope youre not going to be jumping it with it lowered like that, because im willing to bet that your frame would hit the ground at about 6 inches of travel... and seein as the raptor has over 9... ur going to hit baaaad...

Old 01-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Looks good hope it works out good for MX. Where did you pickup the YFZ front shocks and for how much?

Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job. Looks like you could have hit the mounts with the welder a little more though, and the necks on the upper mounts are a little thin for big jumps. But thats just speculation from here, and you used pretty thick stock so you are better off that way.

Good luck with them, you will want to test them out before you go hitting triples.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

nice job, how do you like those tires on there? ive been wanting holeshot mx fronts for mine but i dont know how they are in the sand and on trials? thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Have to give you credit for taking that all on and making it happen cause I know it would have worried me without all the engineering info etc.

Just an idea but maybe try measuring the new distance between the mounts, measure the total amount of travel without the shocks attached, measure how much travel from where the frame bottoms and then call up one of the shock mfg's and see what kind of assistance or product they can offer you.

It may only take a new different length shock or slight adjustment to the overall distance between shock mountings to make it ride a whole lot better etc.

Anyhow congrats on actually doing it, and good luck with future changes in making it better cause we all know the rappy needs the attention.

Quick Reply: FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT