Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Open Class Winner video- Turbo raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Class Winner video- Turbo raptor

No doubt about it...those bikes are fast....Next year they will be even faster.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

great drag racing

Old 01-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

still the point is being missed i think, you put all this money in tubos and injection, and this good 'ol boy from miami, still wins.
my hat goes off to scooby, his ds is one of the nicest ive seen, and i known he has done tons of R&D on the motor.
so who is going to turbo a GP Racing 780?

Like you said
"a win is a win"

Old 01-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not to take anything from Scooby who does indeed has a very fast quad and with the groomed hill, felt the conditions were ripe for him to get a trophy. On this day though, the turbo Raptor beat the DS, as seen in the video(with the GP racing Raptor probably being better ridden in that particular race), yes the same Raptor that some of you guys say should be faster. So whats the deal?

RoostKing...

Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

truth be known, some of the turbo bikes and particularly Scooby and Herbs bikes make too much power for there own good, what I mean is the motors are putting out so much torque that the clutches just give way, Kelly's strategy for the raptor was too drop the number of paddles well below what that motor could spin going up the hill just to keep the tires from getting too much traction and burning the clutch up. Just wait until the lockup clutches are done for the DS and Raptor and you'll see 75-80mph passes on that hill- next years races will be amazing.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

someone is finally taking the idea off the banshee and adapting to a four stoke, those lockup clutches are crazy.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RoostKing
Not to take anything from Scooby who does indeed has a very fast quad and with the groomed hill, felt the conditions were ripe for him to get a trophy. On this day though, the turbo Raptor beat the DS, as seen in the video(with the GP racing Raptor probably being better ridden in that particular race), yes the same Raptor that some of you guys say should be faster. So whats the deal?

RoostKing...
NOT! Roostking I'm afraid your mistaken - in was inconclusive who was faster and here is why. If you look at the video, I (650cc stock motor, 730 lbs with rider, 14 paddles) was beat by the turbo raptor (730cc turbo alcohol nitrous, much lighter than the DS with far fewer paddles). However, one of the wins I stalled the motor at the launch, so that is inconclusive who was faster on that run correct? The next run against the turbo raptor he cut me off going sideways up the hill - I never really got into the throttle on that run and aborted before the top of the hill, so that is inconclusive who was faster on that run correct? The last run against the turbo raptor, I had him till the very top of the hill when the clutch started slipping, so that is inconclusive who was faster on that run correct?

Not to take anything away from the turbo raptor, but for what he had, he should have been making 150RWHP and walking away from everyone.

My DS had some problems so I toned her down on Sunday. On saturday it was running 7-10 MPH faster.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
on a MORE personal note, scobby had sh*ty launches and when i finally launched right, we was winning, that is until it blew up at the end of the race, or else he would have won. but then again i guess all that bike had to do was hit the nos for more power
Nothing blew up - the clutch went out. I re-adjusted the cable afterwards and rode the ATV.

I had 25 more HP I wasn't using on sunday.

My launches were crap - too much tire. The only way I spin those tires is with the suspension soft with chassis lowered and running very high boost, but I raised chassis for the whoops that were present on Saturday and had to lower boost also.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Scooby- You are dam skippy that the turbo raptor SHOULD have made 150 HP and does not come close. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] You have done more R@D on turbo atv's than any shop out there. You should have had a support team servicing your quads between the rounds.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] like some of the others.

I personally do not think the rappy motor can stand up to long term high HP turbocharging as compared to the DS

I am glad to see others building turbo quads.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby,
Why do you think I said that I thought that the conditions were ripe for you to take home a trophy(mainly the groomed hill)!!! I KNOW you make power and have seen it the last 3 FSW's!!!! I have no argument with you and your DS< it is still one of the baddest **** quads out there! But these guys are trying to Monday Morning QB a bike they have never even seen. the turbo raptor was getting through some testing and tuning on Saturday(first time out) and racing on Sunday. I know you didnt make the most power on your first trip out, it takes time. Would you agree or not?

They purposely ran less paddle to avoid both problems you had. 1. Wheeelie off the line IE uncontrollable off the line, and 2. Burn up your clutch racing with too much paddle, by your own admission.

They ran enough to win. no more, no less. Whats the problem, 14???

The only thing I can say about getting the door shut on you mid race, is to be in front mid race...

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: Open Class Winner video- Turbo raptor