Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Open Class Winner video- Turbo raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Class Winner video- Turbo raptor

Originally posted by: 344PV
on the right side you see how hard it was pulling when it let go. maybe raptor660fam can post it.
i'll look, because i don't remember ever seeing lyle's bike out there, I thought it went on sat?

Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Sorry if this gets long, its a slow day at work, and I am rambling......

If Lyle's bike is the one I am thinking of, it went down on Sat.

I learned alot about how they race in Glamis. Its alot different than what I am used to, however, I never was much of a hill shooter. I can honestly say, I want to be now...lol. I got bit by the bug, and have already bought a new frame to start my shooter (OEM TRX, of course).

At out hill, which I have been thumping my chest about (its over 600 feet to the top, Olds is 235), the start does not matter. We start far back from the whoops, I get to 5th for the whoops and start shifting down as I get up the hill. I usually end up in 4th or 3rd. I would love to see those turbos, and big dogs run up this hill, but if that many let go on Olds, it could be ugly on a lot bigger hill.

For the first day I was convinced that the hill sucked to race on because of the starts being such a critical part and it was so short, not to mention not very steep. But then it dawned on me (once I got it set up to launch in 2nd) that Olds is a GREAT racing hill. I was actually accelerating the WHOLE way up, you have to have 150hp to do that up here (not to mention the 4000 increase in elevation).

I raced speedmn (on his "stock 400ex) quite few times, and I can tell you he is a great driver. But I can also tell you, that he (and all the hard core guys) make the move everytime. I raced him 3 or so times, and everytime I said, OK I am going to go first this time, and just as I would take off, he was already gone. Which is in no way a dis, thats a compliment. That "bone stock" 400 ex is pretty fast, I really liked it.

When I first got there, I would line up, get neutral, look over to see who was there to race, they were gone. I learned really quick, you better be in the right gear, have the RPM's right, and the clutch half way out before you even turn your head, that or just go without looking, let them be the sucker. The problem with that, is some of the guys will just sit ther and let you run alone if you get the jump.

All that being said, I think the talk of " if it takes a Kenz Turbo, NO2 blah blah blah, to keep close to a Gasoline Sparks raptor (or GP gas raptor for that matter)" is not a very accurate statement.
The hill is too short for a turbo to catch up. I know nothing, but from watching it seemed like the Turbo bikes all pulled more MPH, just not enough room to take advantage. On our hill, the Kenz turbo orScooby could not be touched, I am pretty sure about that. But on the shorter hill, you need to make more power sooner. I have no idea if you can do that with a turbo or not?
I hope I can come back next year.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

the bike i am talking about from what i saw did not run on sat ( they camped right next to me it was in the trailer all day being worked on )made two runs in the open class you can see it go down in the KMS video. (man!!! i am starting to think i was seeing things) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]