Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine break in

HI,

I just purchased a 2005 Kodiak 450, i live in Canada so i got the plow (it also justified it to my wife!). I have concerns on breaking in the engine in the cold, what is the best way to break an engine in, how long, can i in cold conditions? anything would help! it hasn't arrived yet, i am sure a lot will be covered in the manual but you would all know from experience. Also, can i plow right away (load).

thanks

Old 01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Engine break in

Originally posted by: Dblj6
HI,

I just purchased a 2005 Kodiak 450, i live in Canada so i got the plow (it also justified it to my wife!). I have concerns on breaking in the engine in the cold, what is the best way to break an engine in, how long, can i in cold conditions? anything would help! it hasn't arrived yet, i am sure a lot will be covered in the manual but you would all know from experience. Also, can i plow right away (load).

thanks
i would suggest run it how you plan to ride it... also i wouldn't load it down till about 15hours maybe even 20..

Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine break in

Congrats on your purchase - I picked one up a few months ago. Cold weather is about the least ideal conditions to break in an engine - because it allows a lot of blowby, which is what you want to avoid/counteract by seating the rings on a new engine. I'd let it idle with the choke halfway out for a few minutes until the exhaust is warm out of the pipe, and then slowly/gently ride it for a while until it warms up. The manual says no more than half throttle for quite a while - there is a whole break in section. I also wouldn't plow until it's broken in and you've had an oil change. My kodiak had a top end knocking type sound on the original oil. As soon as I changed it out with some fresh amsoil 0w40 atv oil, it's really smooth and quieter.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Engine break in

Be sure to get the unit up to operating temperature before putting a load ont he engine or revving it. This is true not just for break0in but thereafter as well.

There are varuious schools of thought btu in addition to my advice above, I would stay off the rev limiter and try to let the engine rev down on its own. Vary the throttle as much as possible and try to avaoid prolonged idle. It's good to load the rings during break in but no so good to beat the machine.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine break in

The best way to break your motor in is to warm it up before you ride it even if you dont need to - VERY IMPORTANT!! You should go through 3 heat stages and RPM ranges during this process. When you first start out take it easy on your first tank of gas; don’t go past half throttle in any gear and try not to put any load on it (easy acceleration) and shift correctly. After this first tank drain your oil; you may see metal shavings in the oil that’s normal and alright. On your second tank of gas you can push her a little more still not going past half throttle but put more oomph into your acceleration and riding patterns. On your third tank of fuel it’s good to venture on past half throttle to about 3 quarters and accelerate quickly (not hammering it but not slow) until this tank has been used. After the third tank of gas change your oil and your filter; your motor should be pretty well broken in but it’s still a good idea to take it easy for the next tank of gas.

*Warm it up every time!
*Drain that oil!!

Old 01-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine break in

Break in

Better engine life, regardless of the type of machine. I would avoid plowing for the first few hours of break in. The most important thing is to make sure the quad is warm before you ride.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Engine break in

OK thanks everyone!

JJ