Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Adjusting Stock Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Stock Shock Absorbers

I let a buddy of mine borrow my Raptor while I was on vacation. He is one of these buddies that thinks he can make anything better. He adjusted the shocks on my Raptor, front and rear. I do not have a special wrench to re-adjust them to factory settings (which i am use to). I have tried inserting a screwdriver in the slot wear the adjusting tool should go. I am just beating the hell out of the adjuster. I have tried while the bike was on the ground and supporting the front with a jack. Should I just buy the tool, or is there an easier way of doing this.

Also, I am leaking antifreeze somewhere. I am getting a getting a blinking Reverse light while revving it (its cold here), I am trying to warm it up. It only happens when I overrev. Is this normal, or should I pull out the service manual and starting checking the coolant system?

Thanks
John

Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

i use a channel lock pliers to adjust my shocks. just clamp them when you would use the tool. use a small amount of force and you won't have a problem adjusting the fronts. the rear i just used a screw driver to adjust the dampening force. i never adjusted the entire shock. i have the rebound set where it rebounds the fastest. i weigh 250 though.
if your coolant light is blinking you need to fill the resevoir before riding it and check all the clamps on the hoses. if it still blinks i would take it to someone who is a decent mechanic or dealer.

04 raptor 660 lots of mods

Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

Well the coolant light isn't blinking. Its the reverse light, which according to this forum is overrevving. I didn't know if overrevving while warming it up would make it some overflow. I am going to pull out the service manual today and start checking systems.

Thanks John

Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use your choke, dont rev the engine to warm it up. You are getting a flashing reverse light when revving becuase its setup as an indicator light. When you rev over something like 3500 rpms for x number of seconds it starts flashing.

I also use channel-locks to adjust the stock shocks.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing themadwarriorrider did and just used channel locks i put a rag around the adjuster and clamped down it was a piece of cake the back is fun it took me a few kinda hard to get to on most all quads i used a big flat head screw driver and a hammer as i said it took a few to do it i tightend mine all the way down cause im a big boi [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Range Rover

Hey I was wondering if i need to adjust my shocks at all, my front shock absorber particulary. I am about 5'10 and 240, what setting would be most suitable for trail riding (whoops, small jumps etc) I ripped around last night and everything seemed fine, but what do I know, lol. Or should I jsut play around till i find a setting I like? Last night btw it felt like i was riding a caddy, going over all the bumps was "smooth" is thats good? i liked it....

its a stock raptor