Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of Grizzly 125 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the advantages and disadvantages of Grizzly 125 ?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of Grizzly 125 ?
how fast can it go?

Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the advantages and disadvantages of Grizzly 125 ?

I bought a Grizzly 125 for my eight year old son about six months ago. Each time we go camping in the toyhauler for a weekend that little 125 Grizz is running from daylight to dark everyday, so I would guess the little guy likes his ATV.

I like the fact that it has an electric start, and that it always starts on the first try, and just runs, and runs, and runs, with no problems, and no maintenance to speak of. Reverse is also a nice feature, so when the kid gets stuck on a sand dune he can just put it in reverse and back down, and I don't have to go rescue him. Gearing in reverse is also very low, so it is easy for him to creep down a sand dune backwards. It seems to be reasonably waterproof as well, because he has had it up to the headlights in a watery mud hole, and the belt drive transmission never missed a beat.

I don't like the fact that there is no engine braking with the belt drive transmission, or the fact that there are only hand brakes, and no foot brake. But so far my son has had no problem with braking effectiveness, and he has really surprised me with some of the straight down sand dunes he has ventured off of (gutsy kid [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]). I also would have preferred if Yamaha would have built a Raptor 125, or a YFZ 125, instead of (or in a ddition to) a Grizzly 125.

Top speed is about 30 mph, I think. My son either rides his ATV around camp where I can watch him, or he follows my ATV with his ATV when we leave camp. To tell the truth, with him being just eight years old I have not pushed the speed above 30 mph when he is following me, but I'm pretty certain the Grizzly 125 was more or less topped out at that speed.