Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

carbs or electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbs or electrical problem?

pevious problem with my banshee was at this stage:
just recently had a trip to buttercup dunes(imperial sand dunes) and my banshee had two good runs up the hill and ran fine in the bowls then all of a suddenly the bike began to bog in second alot while in the bowls and it wouldn't run the hill either it would shift into first and second and would bog out in third half way up the hill, this bike usually could pull 3rd and 4th up the hill before but all of a sudden the powerband was gone in third and it bogged in second in the bowels, where do i start i just had it dynoed it was 55hp. had it jetted for the dunes the only thing i changed was my gas and oil mixture i went from 50:1 vp c12 with power plus to trick 40:1 with benol would this have effect my powerband and cause it to bogg?
now my problem is:
cleaned out the carbs and went back to my old mixture with gas and oil(vp and powerpplus) but their is still no power and one pipe smokes quite a bit more than the other and that cylinder and pipe do not get hot when the bike is running, i tried opening it up down the street and as soon i slowed it would die and have trouble kicking back on, after riding it for about 7 min. i pulled the plugs and one was turning a light brown and the other was brand new looking as it was when i took it out of the box(it came from the side that was smoking alot and not heating up) the only things that i have touched was the gas and oil types and mixtures but i returned those to original, i also fooled with the the air/fuel mixture screw a bit but would that cause this much of a problem? what does it sound like to you? where do i start? also i checked the reeds they were fine, people are telling me to check: stator,plug wires,cdi,coil?

Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Joe i had the same problem last weekend at Sycamore Creek. I took the carbs apart and found that my right carbs low idle jet was clogged. If you have the stock Mukunis carbs This could be a place to start. I Clean both just to be safe. I also found the tip of the spark plug was loose on the same side so I changed both plugs. I also pulled the orange wire of the coil and put it back on to make sure the wire had a good connection. checked my ground wire and once I got my carbs reinstalled it started up and ran great. Oh one more thing The crossover tube for the choke has to be on tight too. This also make your Banshee hesitate. If you ever loose this tube you can jerry rig it with a Fix A Flat tube. Had to do this in Glamis to a buddies Banshee. Lucky for me I saw someone else do this at Sycamore. I always carry fix a flat now...Later

Old 01-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cave
Oh one more thing The crossover tube for the choke has to be on tight too. This also make your Banshee hesitate.

I'll bet the farm that this is the problem.