Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Snow Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Snow Riding

yes i changed the plug,it was not wet and still did it with the new plug.....it works fine now that its dry and even that day it was acting up once it dried it was fine

Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

this is kinda off topic but im curious when u start the engine(cold) and try to give it gas it stall's out runs like crap and sputter's right until it warms up then it runs fine..what tells the engine that its warm ?.........reason im asking this crazy question is, is there some kind of censor that is telling the engine/carb that its cold(snow build up around engine) to make it run like crap as to when its 1st started up over night or so....can u guys follow me or did i lose everyone...sorry if i did

Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Up Top

Old 02-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good question. Not alot of people have wolverines so not alot of people are going to answer your question. Why dont you start a new topic in a new section.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

The same thing happens to me in the winter all the time the key is a prefilter on your airfilter and i silicone my airbox lid and a nylon over my air intake in the winter has eliminated the problem for me.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing happend to me, after the 3rd donut all power start to cut out. If you do a seach (dec 04) I asked the same question on why mine was stalling. Someone suggested to cheak my carb float. I havent bothered to fix it yet as it only happends during donuts

Old 02-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never experienced this problem with my '96 Wolverine but I have a pretty good assumption of what is causing your problem. Since you were spinning brodies in the snow, you probably threw up a lot of snow dust and some of that settled on the outside of your carb. This will cool down your carb and allow for carb ice to form on the inside of the venturi. Your venturi gets necked down from the ice, and makes the machine bog and cut out. This is very common up here in AK where it happens to snowmachines, snowblowers and even carburated trucks. The way we cure it is to run Iso-heet (Isopropal alcohol) in our gas along with the stock air cleaner (box). My 11 HP Honda snowblower had the problem so bad that Honda came out with a kit that basically surrounds the carb with steel and rubber heat shields to direct engine heat towards the carb to keep it from freezing. If the Iso-heat doesn't cure your problem then you might try shield you carb but I doubt you'll need to go to such extremes. I'd just jet the carb richer, make sure the air filter is clean, run your stock air box lid and ride. Shouldn't have any more problems.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

rockrider what u just said makes perfect sense there was alot of snow build up on the carb....where do i get this iso heat? thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info rockrider. That really does make a lot of sense. I wonder why it only does it during donuts or it will sometimes do it if I jump the bike and land it hard? I thought it was just crud in the carb getting slung around and stopping up a jet. I found if you pull the choke while it happens, it clears faster. I dunno.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

now that i got thinking about it more and more i remember this happining to a snow blower we had a few yrs back ..what a major pita..thanks again dude

Quick Reply: Wolverine Snow Riding