Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Updated: Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!

hey guys,

I have used search engines and looked through forums for a while now and collected information to take to the dealer so please don't recommend I use the search. I know this is a common problem but this is just an absolute nightmare involving a lot of $$$ for me. It is an 2003 660 Grizzly and it is JUNK, it has been AWFUL. It was great for a while but then it just started. Stalling... Mainly on hills is when it stalls, the worst possible and most dangerous time. This is clearly a huge engineering flaw of some type and Yamaha refuses to do a proper recall and do what needs to be done to make it right. It has been to two different shops at least 15 times and i've called Yamaha several times. Still isn't fixed... They installed a heat shield on the gas tank and put the vented side panels on. That may have helped some but it didn't fix the problem. Then they recommended that I put a bigger jet in it so I did that and it ran TERRIBLE, I mean it was pathetic how bad it sputtered and no power either. So I have to get it put back to the stock jetting and suffer with the dangers of stalling on hills. This is a serious safety issue not to mention very annoying and makes me feel like I threw away my money on junk. To say i'm more than a little mad and more than a little dissapointed is an understatement.

I stay out of mud and water the best I can but sometimes I have to go through a little bit. Not an extreme amount, probably <5".

-What else can I try or do?

I will try to put some GE Dielectric grease that I have on the plugs and coil connections up front. I just don't know what else to do. I am fed up with the B.S. If I sell it to someone else in a private sale i'll have to disclose the design flaw and the dangers of it or I could get in trouble if they got hurt. About my only other option is to get the dealer to buy it back maybe even then they aren't going to offer me anything. Even though they say it "works great" and is "perfectly fine" now.... What a joke!!! I feel betrayed and scammed... After I get rid of this I may consider a new 2005 Grizzly if the problem is fixed but more than likely i'm going to have to go with another brand.

If you need more information let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Rhin0 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Added another reply to this thread with some more information guys, check it out. THANK YOU.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!

Have you tried adjusting your float levels in your carbs? Since it only stalls on hills I would say that maybe the carb bowls are just emptying as you incline the bike. Use a clear hose and check your bowl levels. This may turn out to be a simple problem after all.

~HoundDog

Old 01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That would have been my first guess as well. Does it stall, if you really get on the brakes too? How about nailing it in reverse? This will uncover the main jet too. Theres a ring, at the main jet, which helps to keep the main jet in gas, its #11 in this pic. If its missing or broke, that could cause the problem.
If its there, then I would say the float level is too low, or the idle speed is too low.
number 11 in picture

Old 01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

your dealership is not good with grizzly's, odviously!
first, common problem with grizzly's back in 02 and the start of 03 models. stalling on inclines. this is due to the floats being out of adjustment. i beleave you have to adjust them 2 mm. this WILL FIX the stalling. all dealerships recieved a memo on this back in 03.
now, on to real problems, lol. the griz runs rich from factory, so adding a larger jet would only make it worse, lol. see more on why i think your dealership are dinks?

adjust the floats on the carb. but, before you do that, do a plug chop. see how bad it is running rich( dont know your elevation) now, wake the quad up a little, so you can fall in love all over again.( my griz treated me real bad, until I FIXED IT MYSELF) thanks yamaha!
add a k$n filter, to add air. then, buy a exhaust tip for it( selling on ebay, or make one yourself) and buy a long 1/2 inch drill bit. drill out 10 to 15 holes in your exhaust baffles. add the new tip. throw in the k$n filter, and then add a larger jet. maybe a 155 main jet. turn out your idle screw to 3 1/4 turns out. ( of corse, this is at sea level)
you will have to dial it in from them, but only slightly. good call to keep dialetic grease on the front cervo, and the plug. take your pritty new 04 side panels they put on with the heat kit, and drill a bunch of 1/2 inch holes, or a 2 inch hole closer to the back of them( this lets out more steam) and helps out alot in water crossings.

if you do all this, your grizzly will be good to you. i promice!!! then, you'll just have to post on the axles you keep breaking, lol! ( bad on 03 models)
if any of this is hard, or you dont know how, post questions on how, and i'l try to walk ya through them. a manual helps out alot here though! to do your floats, you have to get to the carb, so why not add power while your getting there, lol.
good luck

Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Guys thanks for the help so far... I need to make the problem a little more clear I guess. The word "stalling" was probably the wrong word. It basically always does it on a hill and it doesn't die or stop it just bogs WAY down and sputters like crazy. Sort of like the motor isn't getting any gas... It never dies but it barely makes it to the top of the hills. It is still very dangerous, I suppose someday it could stall all the way out.

The bigger jet they put in is TERRIBLE, it is popping and cracking out the exhaust just pulling it out of the garage. They have adjusted the valves 3 times, heat shield on gas tank, and vented sides... Oh and tune up and the bigger jets. It is still screwed up. Have to get the old jet size put back in. Radiator and everything is clean, I don't think it is overheating the gas...

Getting very old and tiring! Please give me some updates since I provided some more info maybe you guys can analyze problem a little better

thank you again!
Rhin0

Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Updated: Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!

Kind sir, sorry about your Grizzly problems. Everyone is on the right track here telling you to adjust your float. Float adjusting is actually a rare thing. "Why should a float be out of adjustment? " You may ask yourself. I work at a Yamaha dealer and can tell you the reason. Apparently Yamaha did not adjust the floats on Grizzlies at the factory so they did send a bulletin to the dealers. We call it Grizzlyitis on our work orders because it literally affects EVERY Grizzly. Grab yourself a manual and set it accordingly. As a quick rule the float should appear level with the carb body when the carb body is turned upside down. Every Grizzly we have worked on or sold right out of the crate has the float set extremely rich. Sometimes almost 1/2" too high. To answer another concern of yours. This will also rob your of power up an incline as if you were running out of gas because the mixture of air and gas gets way too rich with the gas rushing in suddenly as a liquid and not as an atomized vapor mixture of 14 parts of air to 1 part of fuel. It simply floods the spark plug and combustion chamber. Your Grizzly is not starving for fuel, it is actually starving for the proper fuel it was designed to burn (atomized gas air vapor). You are correct in reinstalling your original jet and simply adjust that float. Also in the future go to a different Yamaha shop if they somehow amazingly are not aware of such a common issue. They must not be reading their service bulletins from Yamaha. Our shop does at least 3 grizzlies a month. In fact whenever a customer brings in a Grizzly for any reason we notify them of the condition and if we service thier Grizzly we automatically go in and adjust their float. It takes a good 3 hours because of the fron plastic and gas tank removal and reinstallation. Grizzlies are a quality machine, just too bad they came from the factory without the float adjusted. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Updated: Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!

Recall should be the only answer in this situation. Not gonna happen though.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

renegade888, Very well said.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guy... I am calling them today. It is absurd they don't know about the tech bulletin and everyone here does. I am going to be so mad if it ends up being this float and they been jacking with jets and stuff forever

Thanks for the great info, i'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

rhino,
i told ya it was the floats. been a problem with grizzly's since the beginning. now, on to a better idea!!!
why call that dealership and have them do it? i would not let such an unqualified place whipe my ars!!!
if you own a grizzly, you ARE going to have to learn how to fix, maintain it. this is a good place to start at!!! all you need is a manual, some patiance, and a biginners set of tools! oh, and vice grips, to get the carb screws out, lol!
listen to the ol' saying when it comes to that dealership. screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on ME! find another dealership to take it to, or just do it yourself. when you start modding, then you'l know exactly where to start, and how to do it.
good luck, but stay away from that dealership!

Quick Reply: Updated: Grizzly Nightmare, they can't/won't fix it. Want it fixed but never buy one again!