Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee blown engine in water?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend told me that if I ran a banshee through the water that it would blow the engine, is this true? If so why?

Old 09-17-2000, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

I know it can happen. Its called hydro-lock. You can suck enough water through the carb into the cylinder and bend a rod, the water will not compress and ignight like gas will so it couses alot of stress on the crank and rods. I have been there and done that but I have no airbox and high compression domes in my cool head.

Dale

Old 09-18-2000, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Water can be a serious threat to any engine.
I think it is a fair warning to take it easy while in the drink.
A banshee (with the high revs) can get quite hot quick. It's 80 degrees and flying through the trails. a Sudden submersion is going to instantly cool that motor. That can be a problem in itself. Cracking of components or reduced response until that engine gets back up to temp. You also risk sucking water into the airbox, around exhaust systems and into the electrical system(stator area) I try to avoid water at all costs on my machine....I Do not run a lid on my airbox...a wet filter does not do real well. One drop of water on a hot piston is going to blow a hole right in it. (don't ask me how I know ). Water mixes with the fuel...theres alot to beware of.

My advice(which many always argue) is to stay clear of water...your asking for trouble on a sport quad.

Alot of the bigger 4 wheel machines have snorkles that allow for slow transition through the water.

But those shallow streams are tempting.