Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please Post your Raptor Problems Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, don't do it...get married that is. Just kidding. You can help me prove my Raptor has a bent axle. You know where Suzuki\Yamaha of Texas is on Airport Frwy in Ft. Worth. Go see it. Talk to Oscar.

Old 09-19-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you havent noticed bash is the one with a problem, it is his raptor that bent the A-ARM, if anyone should comment on it it should be him and none of you guys. As far as Im concerned the facts stated are not fact at all until proven true.
I own one and so does bash that is fact.

facts according to your 1st section, the stealership is still going to charge 800 less than if you bought a DS from the same place no matter how bad you get it stuck to you, and those people smart enough to put down money on june 8th have not gotten the reaming others have. finding one is simple put down money for it and you would have one by now.
your second section of facts
full coverage insurance
$131 on mine, the other figures where due to the fact that 660ccs where showing in their computers to list it as a streetbike, Not an atv.
third section of facts
break in uses more gas during the first 10 hrs, it holds 3.1 gallons, with just over .5 being reserve, you also realize that the spin on oil filter is easier to change, and cars and trucks all have them hanging off of the bottom. You also realize that the coolant line is also covered with another piece of protective rubber, You dont have a rev limiter in reverse like honda uses, but then again you atleast have reverse, its not been proven that the 2/3 strangle has created any loss of power in the stock engine, the chain now only takes 2 wrenches not 7, Who doesnt check their tires before riding, You notice 3 Lbs .
fourth section:
I aired my tires up they never had a chance to roll off of the bead, Ive jumped and landed all of the jumps flat no hint of bending anything yet and i weigh 250+lbs. You dont have to slip it any more than a banshee and that is only in first when taking off, We dont have dunes within 500 miles that I know of, but who rides stockers in the sand.

I for one also dont go out and try to trash a new quad

Old 09-19-2000, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have logged many hours on my Raptor already with no problems. For my style of riding (sand), the change to a 12 tooth sprocket was necessary, but it is hard for me to imagine riding anything else after being on the Raptor. I ride my machines hard, but do not go out trying to tear them up. Take good care of the machine, and it will last.

As for the fuel consumption, after a few hours of break-in, it is fairly efficient. Not the hog I first thought.

Old 09-19-2000, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the first Raptor around here and I am totally surprised (and happy!!)with this new quad. I am a Yamaha and Honda fan, but I have owned all (4) Japanese brands (H,Y,K,S)! I collect quads, modify sport quads, race quads, sell quads, and most importantly, own quads! I prefer four strokes to two strokes, but I like them both, in fact, I like all good quads!! The only quads I refuse to buy/endorse are the older, small displacement Polaris models, which I have always felt they were not of the same quality as the newer, large cc polaris quads, or most any Japanese quads..(note: I haven't seen any Arctic Cats and few Traxters or DS's around New Orleans, but what I have seen and rode, seems to be O.K.)I just wanted to tell whoever is considering buying a new Raptor to know, this is the machine I (and probably a lot of other people) have been waiting for!! I hoped that Yamaha would have introduced a 250cc 2-stroke in the late '80's, but it didn't happen..as I grew older, I discovered the 4x4 and sport utility machines ('93 Honda 300 4x4,'95 Wolverine, '98 Grizzly, '00 Kodiak 4x4), I've even built (2) honda 250R's with 350X motors, trying to own the perfect trail/sport quad...I presently own a modified '87 250 Mojave (original owner, modified for XC), a '91 Blaster (under construction), an '88 Honda Fourtrax 250R (modified for XC); an '88 Fourtrax 250R w/ 350X motor (modified for XC); an '86 Fourtrax 250R W/ 350x motor (modified for XC); a '00 Kodiak 4x4 (bone stock!!), '99 yamaha TTR-250R (White Bros. E series pipe)..'01 blue Raptor (stock, XC mods coming!)....I have owned (3) Banshee's, (4) Blasters, (3) Suzuki Quad Racer 250's, a Quadzilla 500, (2) Warrior's, a Honda 250x, Honda 300 4x4, Honda 200SX, Honda 200 Type II, Bayou 220, Timberwolf 250, Timberwolf 250 4x4, Grizzly, Wolverine, ATC110, ATC185s, KLT110, Quadrunner 230, oh I can't remember them all, but my point is that I've seen alot, rode alot, owned alot, fixed alot, and the RAPTOR is the finest production quad I have ever slung a leg over!!! I wouldn't mine owning a 400EX and I have ridden them, and it is a great quad!! Ya'll may think I am bragging, and guess what, I am..but I am also proud to have experienced what I have in my young 46 years..I try to stay active in every aspect of atving, from local clubs, building new trails for our sport (see Spillway article on main page, that is me, the fat one, sitting at the far right of the table with Bruce Roeder and the Col.) and staying active in state ORV organizations as well as local OHV clubs!! I read the Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawie, etc.. posts everyday and sometimes I gey so mad because some people try to rip new models without owning one (especially the Raptor)..I have seen lots of problems with new models, but for the most part, these new models help to advance our sport (or our hobby) to higher levels...now, will the Raptor have 1st year problems, maybe some isolated ones..will it be the perfect quad for everyone, no way, that is why there are almost a hundred different quads on the market, (not to mention all the discontinued models that are still out there for sale) but the Raptor is, for right now, at the top of the sport/race food chain, in my humble opinion!!

BAMA250R (can't ride 'em all, but I'll try like hell!!)

Old 09-20-2000, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

Bash,
I bought my Raptor for $100.00 over dealer cost (I am the former G.M. of the dealership) and if I was worried about the Raptor's weaknesses, I too could sell it and make $1000-1500 profit!! But I think this is one hell of a machine..I like it better than my modified 250R or my 350RX's..wait until a few more people ride them, and you'll see the BASHing slack off..have you seen the accessories for the Raptor in the new "Dirt Wheels Magazine"?

BAMA250R

Old 09-20-2000, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Bama,

I got a deal, but you probably got a better one.

I haven't saw the accesories yet, but I do know that I want some silver shockwears for it. A wider front bumper might be nice as well.

Old 09-20-2000, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

BASH
They offer a cool headlight grill, it kinda looks like carbon fiber (but it's plastic) ans it is (1) piece, but it is real trick, it will match either color, as well as a pipe (like the R-1), nice alum. heel guards, and (2) styles of front bumpers, but I have only seen the blue shock covers!!
BAMA250R

Old 09-20-2000, 09:17 AM
Banned

Hello Bama250R

Can you tell me which manufacturer has these shock covers and headlight covers? are they on the web? I would also like to put a nice DG Krome front bumper on the bike as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2000, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

Guys, every time a new quad comes out there is going to be a few with problems. Don't let it keep you from buying one. When the 400ex came out there was some problems with some of them. It was the quad I was waiting on and I have not had one problem with it and I love it. The Raptor is going to be the same way. There will be problems with some models and some models will not have any problems. One year from now you won't even be talking about problems but how much fun it is and how many performance parts are available. Don't let the bashing get to you, ride and enjoy. Good luck with the Raptor.

Old 09-20-2000, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

they were in the latest (November issue) of Dirt Wheels magazine, and they are GYT-R accessories, availble from , and manufactured for, Yamaha..I called Yamaha direct in Kennesaw, Ga., and I was told that most of Yamaha's accessories were not available, just yet...the headlight cover is pretty cool, but I will probably get a PRM "Baja" front bumper and grab bar when the new wears off..I just like that style..the GYT-R skids look nice, as well as the graphics/seat cover pacakages..they offer (4) different seat/graphics combos, (2) for the black/white Raptor and (2) for the blue, also (2) types of front bumpers, a small "race" bumper (think DG) and a larger "XC" version! Headpipes and handguards are still in development...

BAMA250R

Quick Reply: Please Post your Raptor Problems Here