Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please Post your Raptor Problems Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wanting to get a comprehensive list of problems that have been occuring with the raptor. Whether they come from hard riding or not. I am sure that there are other people out there who ride hard and aggresive and would like to know how the bike holds up in thouse conditions. Also and minor things that may have occured as well.

If you have had a problem post what it is and if it is the same as one that has already been posted then go ahead and list yours as well. We are looking for things that may be inherent with the bike and not just unique events.

I was thinking of getting a raptor soon but I will probably hold out for a year or so to let Yamaha find and correct these problems that will happen with any first production run bike.

Thanks in advance for the posts...

Warrior_2000_MD
"2000 Warrior"
"duh" =-)

Old 09-19-2000, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer

Just read the posts from The New Raptor Owners on the various ATV BBS boards around the 'Net.

Here are some:

1. The purchase:
a. finding one.
b. not getting ripped off by the Stealership.
c. being told a lie: "Yeah, we got 2.".

2. After the purchase:
a. full coverage insurance cost.

3. During the break-in:
a. 3.3 gallon gas tank has a Reserve of alot.
b. Seems to suck lots of gas.
c. Maybe "b" is why the Reserve is so large.
d. You realize that there's a coolant line that
runs outside of the frame rail.
e. You discover a dent in the spin-on filter, good
thing it wasn't a BIG rock.
f. Reverse is as fast as first-and-a-half!!
g. You find a designed-in 2/3rds strangle in the
air intake boot.
h. The chain isn't THAT much easier to adjust.
i. Only 3 psi in the tires, they rolled off the beads.

4. After the break-in:
a. You consider your luck, when the tires rolled off the beads, you survived.
b. The rear axle bent.
c. The upper Alloy a-arm folded up.
d. You consider your luck, again.
e. The clutch wore out, from slipping it.
f. Climbing Dunes--from a Raptor Owner--
it needs..5 to 10 more HP..a 4-inch swingarm,
(there goes your handling)..(with these mods),
it'll "probably" climb as good as (a) Banshee..
(not my words--Raptor Owners words. As is everything posted here.)

There will be more, stay tuned.

Flyin' (watching the posts come in) Ryan

Old 09-19-2000, 01:43 AM
Range Rover

Het warrior 2000 from Frederick MD I'm from Westminster not far from you. Don't listen to that jack a$$ flyin ryan he claims to have owned a Raptor and has had all kinds of problems with it. Only a while ago he had hondas and everything was great. If you want proof make the 30 minute drive and you'll see what the Raptors all about. I sold my 99 Warrior which was nice for the bike of bikes. There's lots of us out here that love our Raptors it's just a shame there's too many pussies out there that can't admit it when a bike tops thiers. I new it when I had the Warrior that a 400 had me blown away in performance my friend has one. But now I have the bragging rights and he too talks alot of the Raptor. If you want the facts I'm always here. And I know lots of places to go riding. Keep in touch fellow crabcake. The Raptor is truly a great bike.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Great report Ryan, I totally agree, they should consider the hot new 250ex, or the Kaesa Skyhawk. Im sure Ryan that even though you still have to ride a 125 honda fourtrax from 1988 that maybe they should consider it also. Im so glad your lack of mentality, or utter jealousy which ever it may be guides you into all of the yamaha posts so you can mutter something that no one considers truthful anyways. Also remember the government says you must be over 16 to drive anything over 90cc's so you better keep off of that 125 honda until you next birthday.

Old 09-19-2000, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

My Raptor problem is that I dont have one!

Sorry had to post that, heh, im just a broke bum bout to get married (ugh, j/k). Hope to have a raptor as soon as we get settled.

Old 09-19-2000, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreceate the comments war99. I like my warrior although it is kind of heavy in the front end. I have been reading Posts about the raptor and it does seem that there may be a few problems to be worked out. I still want one thought. But heck I still don't have my warrior paid off yet. So I will probably sit back in the dust for a while longer and watch all you rapter guys eat up the 400's hehe...

Oh.. War99 where do you ride? Been to Tower City? I do most of my riding up in PA. GreenRidge gets very old very quick.

Old 09-19-2000, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Since the Raptor is flawless and cant be broken, why dont you guys check out the post on here titled "I just found the Raptors weak point literally"? Of course, I am sure that guy really is a 400ex owner who is lying to make the raptor look bad though.
Because we all know the Raptor is bulletproof and perfect in ways.

Old 09-19-2000, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

I have a problem with my Raptor...

Ever since I bought it, I HATE RIDING ON ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Gotta hate that!

Old 09-19-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I rode my raptor really hard this past weekend and did not encounter a single problem. I even gave it too much gas off a jump, and landed straight up and down on the rear tires, and nothing happened to it. No bent axles, no bent rims, and i am probably the biggest guy in here that rides a raptor, just check out the pics. I am really happy with my purchase, no regrets.

Old 09-19-2000, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

Take a look around on the other BBS boards...there are posts direct from Raptor owners that echo the words of Ryan.

I think that it's great that Yamaha produced a new sport quad. However, some of them (if not all) obviously have design flaws.

As for the comments from YamahaRaptor and bash:
Your bashing of Ryan for riding a Blaster are no more mature than you claim that he is. I could understand your point of view if Ryan was not stating facts that can be verified on this very forum.

Quick Reply: Please Post your Raptor Problems Here