Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do long travel shocks bottom out sooner than regular travel shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do long travel shocks bottom out sooner than regular travel shocks?

Just curious, it seems it would have to bottom out a little bit sooner because you can only share the shaft length so much. I guess what I'm trying to say is is the eye to eye length the same when fully compressed on long and/or regular travel shocks? All input welcome.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

The shaft is longer in the long travel shock. This gives the valving more time to act on the shaft. When properly adjusted, I don't think they bottom out sooner or later than regular shocks but they are smoother, the valving has more time to slow down the shaft so it doesn't have to slow things down as abruptly. Jumping with long travel shocks is like landing on a wet sponge, hardly any shock at all. More than once I drove my Raptor off a 9 foot drop and it just went "squish", it never bounced or bottomed out. Same with flat landing a jump, it never bounced. Very nice for an amateur MX rider if you can afford it, a LT front suspension will really help save you from a bad landing.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider

yeah and depending on valving too. ive had some bad ladings and gone off drops of like 6 ft. and it just takes it . when a stock bike would bounce all over the place and loose control if your not experienced enough.
i say valving because my buddy has mx valving and i got xc valving and hes bike seems to like bigger jumps than mine. mine bottoms out on some flat landings.